No announcement yet.

Fedora Workstation 38 Is Shaping Up To Be Another Fantastic Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, what are the hardware specs of your main production system?

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      Chad Michael,
      - drops intriguing word "nightmare"
      - doesn't elaborate further
      Everyone here knows exactly what he's talking about.

Comment

Hot story.

Please more "Distro X Is Shaping Up To Be Another Fantastic Release" articles, where X is the flavour of the day!

​
        Last edited by bobbie424242; 15 March 2023, 03:39 PM.

Comment

That app grid is bugged, right? Mine has more columns, less lines, and the icons overall are larger and more spread out..

Comment

Fedora + KDE + X11 is great. Fedora + Gnome + Wayland is a dumpster fire most of the time.

But you need to pay attention to whether you are unwittingly beta testing a major version upgrade of gcc that just came out in the next Fedora release, otherwise you need to wait a month or 3 after the release of Fedora to upgrade. It would be nice if some distro, somewhere, figured out to stay back a bit on gcc and glibc, and otherwise keep most user applications reasonably up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnacle View Post
              Fedora + KDE + X11 is great. Fedora + Gnome + Wayland is a dumpster fire most of the time.

But you need to pay attention to whether you are unwittingly beta testing a major version upgrade of gcc that just came out in the next Fedora release, otherwise you need to wait a month or 3 after the release of Fedora to upgrade. It would be nice if some distro, somewhere, figured out to stay back a bit on gcc and glibc, and otherwise keep most user applications reasonably up to date.
              In what way is gnome + wayland a dumpster fire? I have my issues with gnome, but fedora+gnome+wayland has been very solid on radeon for a few releases now, and the normal gnome breaking things on upgrade hasn't been terrible, and thats been during the replacing gtk3 with gtk4 for various gnome apps over the last few releases.

I heard once that facebook's internal distro is fedora userspace with rhel's gcc/glibc, and while I think there's absolutely a usecase for something like that, it's really not that useful for a desktop. Besides, we're supposed to be using containers/snaps/flatpaks/appimages to decouple the distro to whatever people want in terms of stability.

Comment

Originally posted by espi View Post
                ... unable to drag files with Nautilus...
                You actually can: try doing it slowly (and I am not joking). It's a known issue and it's being worked on already

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724
                  I get a bad weather but rain-like vibe from the wallpaper. The green sets it apart from being snowy. Seems perfect for Spring!

I wonder if they'll provide a dynamic wallpaper option for it? Iirc if you just install F37 as-is no updates, you can select the dynamic F37 wallpaper from GNOME settings, but after updating the system the dynamic wallpaper disappears and you can only select a static version.
                  If asked nicely, then the dynamic F37 wallpaper will return as optional on GNOME settings on future update. Note that GNOME kinda depreciated such feature in favour of light and dark theme (Night theme switcher extension also mimics dynamic wallpaper)

Comment

Originally posted by ll1025 View Post

Everyone here knows exactly what he's talking about.
                    I don't. I can guess that he has experienced some breakages, but how am I supposed to know without him elaborating?

Comment

What is the default font type on Fedora 38?

Comment

Working...
                      X