Fedora Workstation 38 Is Shaping Up To Be Another Fantastic Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Workstation 38 Is Shaping Up To Be Another Fantastic Release

Phoronix: Fedora Workstation 38 Is Shaping Up To Be Another Fantastic Release

I've been playing around with the current development state of Fedora 38 the past few days on several test boxes. While only reaching Fedora 38 Beta this week, it already feels quite polished and stable. To sum it up quite simply, Fedora Workstation 38 is looking like it will be another fantastic release and continuing the modern Fedora Project trend of putting out a bleeding-edge Linux distribution yet production-ready and with far less blemishes compared to releases from years ago...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another ugly wallpaper. Yes, I know I can change it, but default wallpaper is like a business card. Bad weather and snow is something I don't want to experience from upcoming spring and Fedora release.

Comment

I am using Silverblue and OpenGL in the toolbox for fedora 38 seems not to work. Everything else seems to be fine. Even my GPU resets are gone.

Comment

Chad Michael,
        - drops intriguing word "nightmare"
        - doesn't elaborate further
        gigachad.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          Another ugly wallpaper. Yes, I know I can change it, but default wallpaper is like a business card. Bad weather and snow is something I don't want to experience from upcoming spring and Fedora release.
          So next time they choose one to your liking and then fellow Phoronix users uid313 and mirmirmir are pissed. Bottom line: there's no perfect wallpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So next time they choose one to your liking and then fellow Phoronix users uid313 and mirmirmir are pissed. Bottom line: there's no perfect wallpaper.
            They should just keep the upstream GNOME wallpaper, they’re made by Red Hat employees anyway.

Comment

The last 2 wallpapers I found awful, but then very quickly warmed up to them and ended up leaving them up. This one is more palatable right out of the box, lets see how my opinion evolves.

In fact I was sad to see the random glasses from Fedora 36 go away when I updated to F37.

Anyways, I upgraded my main machine to F38 beta and its generally pretty good, there are some pretty big issues like being unable to drag files with Nautilus, some pops and cracks with the audio, a full desktop freeze and when gaming sometimes the keys get stuck.

Comment

Maybe next time they'll take a look at Windows and macOS wallpapers?

Comment

or better, they could contribute their masterpieces for F39

Comment

To quote the Fedora Project lead:

"I would definitely appreciate it if we say "leading edge" rather than "bleeding edge". Fedora endeavors to deliver working solutions, not something where you might get your fingers metaphorically chopped off."

- Matthew Miller

"Cutting edge" and "leading edge" came about as idioms describing the latest technological developments.

"Bleeding edge" came about much later, as a reference to those terms, with the additional implication that the technology was "experimental, unpolished, and still at least somewhat risky." A product cannot be both "bleeding edge" and "ready for production," by definition.

Comment

Working...
                    X