Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's New Desktop Installer Working On Auto-Install, Active Directory Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's New Desktop Installer Working On Auto-Install, Active Directory Integration

Phoronix: Ubuntu's New Desktop Installer Working On Auto-Install, Active Directory Integration

While the new Ubuntu 23.04 desktop installer is shaping up nicely, Canonical engineers continue to be busy working on additional features and ironing out functionality found within the existing Ubiquity installer but not yet their new Flutter-based graphical installer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will it be the default installer also for the other OSes based on Ubuntu like KDe Neon?

Comment

The steering wheel in that icon is a bit too 90s lol.

Comment

Again with the try or install bullshit?
        Just boot by default in the try mode, maybe showing a notification like: "Hey you are in the try mode, which means you can test the system..."
        And if someone wants to install it it can start the installer from a desktop shortcut or a start menu shortcut.
        Stopping every time to ask this question is very annoying and time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Baemir View Post
          The steering wheel in that icon is a bit too 90s lol.
          the mechanical HDD is starting to become an old icon for mass storage as well

Comment

Notably absent from the new desktop installer is that so far there's been no return of the root ZFS file-system installation support while it was just a few years ago Canonical was heavily promoting OpenZFS with Ubuntu before seemingly losing interest in it and being content with EXT4.
            The way Canonical had the installer set up, the defaults weren't that useful and you couldn't easily change any of them. ZFS isn't terribly useful on single disks when compared to alternatives like EXT4 and XFS. Without additional setup after installation, you give up much of the data integrity robustness in ZFS that requires multiple storage devices: RAID 1, 3, etc.

I'm not privy to why Canonical hasn't added ZFS back into the installer, and I may be way off on why it was removed, but that's what makes the most sense. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the licensing terms.

Despite people saying the ZFS license and the GPL are incompatible, no one actually knows that, especially when it comes to every single legal jurisdiction in the world. It's an opinion and shouldn't be taken as an authoritative one. I know of no court case where this has been determined (in the US, that's the final arbiter of copyright). In fact, in some jurisdictions, like the US, the authoritative sounding disclaimers some distros post when installing ZFS utils may be considered impermissible legal advice. Only attorneys that have passed the bar may issue authoritative legal advice & they have to sign off on it. This is why legal podcasts and talk shows in the US have the disclaimer "while $HOST is a board certified lawyer, nothing in this show should be considered legal advice" because jurisdictions vary and even if you live in the same area, what a lawyer advocates over the air is a personal opinion, won't necessarily be what the lawyer advises a client in their professional capacity which they must professionally stand behind (the difference between advocacy and reality).

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

The way Canonical had the installer set up, the defaults weren't that useful and you couldn't easily change any of them. ZFS isn't terribly useful on single disks when compared to alternatives like EXT4 and XFS. Without additional setup after installation, you give up much of the data integrity robustness in ZFS that requires multiple storage devices: RAID 1, 3, etc.

I'm not privy to why Canonical hasn't added ZFS back into the installer, and I may be way off on why it was removed, but that's what makes the most sense. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the licensing terms.
              Main reason: maintenance. Canonical were on their own when implementing ZFS binary kernel as Linux kernel developers clearly mentioned they would never support it without having Oracle clarifying the licensing issue.

Comment

It's kind of a shame that the open source world has never managed to come up with it's own answer to AD, which made everyone happy. I'll concede that it's a very, very hard problem to solve. Especially when it comes to meeting requirements like GDPR.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

the mechanical HDD is starting to become an old icon for mass storage as well
                  wait till you will see the 'save' icon

Comment

Originally posted by esbeeb View Post
                    It's kind of a shame that the open source world has never managed to come up with it's own answer to AD, which made everyone happy. I'll concede that it's a very, very hard problem to solve. Especially when it comes to meeting requirements like GDPR.
                    wasnt SSSD supported to be an answer to AD (i really know neither, so i may be wrong)?

Comment

Working...
                    X