Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Planning Ahead For The Next 5 Years

Phoronix: Fedora Planning Ahead For The Next 5 Years

The Fedora Project has been working on drafting its strategic plan to help shape the Linux distribution over the next five years. A draft of the plan written up by the Fedora Council has been published and is currently seeking community feedback on their road-map planning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am using now Fedora Silverblue since one year and I am highly satisfied. Updates are really fast and easily revertible. With the toolbox I can update my development system independently from my desktop system. It's different but as I got used to it it felt much more polished than the classical Ubuntu system I used before.

Comment

"Fedora is for everyone"
      "Fedora Linux Disabling Mesa's H.264 / H.265 / VC1 VA-API Support Over Legal Concerns"​

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
        "Fedora is for everyone"
        "Fedora Linux Disabling Mesa's H.264 / H.265 / VC1 VA-API Support Over Legal Concerns"​
        Tbh, with Fedora shipping Flathub, it gets round that issue since the Freedesktop Runtimes are compiled with H264 support.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
          "Fedora is for everyone"
          You get it for free, so it's expected.

Besides I've noticed that the majority of Phoronix users hate patented codecs, so you must be happy you now have no chance of even dealing with them! They are evil! Must burn in hell! Theora/VP9/AV1 FTW!

Those users however haven't quite explained how to get videos from their smartphones and DSLRs in these free codecs, but who cares, right? And how to encode into AV1 efficiently. Ah, the details. Looks like the real world is kinda incompatible with high ideals.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            You get it for free, so it's expected.
            That's a pathetic excuse. If that's the case then don't say "it's for everyone".

Comment

Looks like the real world is kinda incompatible with high ideals.
              history tells a different story.

many proprietary technology, formats and software have been destroyed by the open counterpart.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                That's a pathetic excuse. If that's the case then don't say "it's for everyone".
                I've never claimed or said Fedora or Linux is for everyone. In fact I very much oppose the idea and I firmly believe that Linux is good/suitable only for IT professionals/geeks.

Originally posted by cynic View Post

history tells a different story.

many proprietary technology, formats and software have been destroyed by the open counterpart.
                Please demonstrate how H.264/H.265 are getting destroyed in the professional industry (video production). I'd also love to see how VP9/AV1 codecs are used anywhere outside of YouTube/Netflix.

Oh, and the majority of audio streaming services on the internet continue to use MP3 exclusively despite Opus and Vorbis being objectively better.

I'd also love to learn why the Bluetooth standard has incorporated proprietary AAC and AptX codecs and not a single open audio codec.
                Last edited by avis; 16 February 2023, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Please demonstrate how H.264/H.265 are getting destroyed in the professional industry (video production). I'd also love to see how VP9/AV1 codecs are used anywhere outside of YouTube/Netflix.

Oh, and the majority of audio streaming services on the internet continue to use MP3 exclusively despite Opus and Vorbis being objectively better.

I'd also love to learn why the Bluetooth standard has incorporated proprietary AAC and AptX codecs and not a single open audio codec.
                  I'm not going to demostrate you any of these, as I don't care about all those use cases or formats.

Indeed, the fact that some proprietary tech might survive:

1. don't invalidate that many of them have been replaced by open technology
                  2. don't invalidate my post
                  3. is actualy total orthogonal to my post

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    Those are Fedora's words. They disable all the patented stuff so Fedora can legally be used by everyone. Having all that disabled technically does make it for everyone since a lot of us, legally, aren't allowed to use that kind of software.

What I'd like to know is what this "Each Edition has a story for each release" means?

They call me the KDE Plasma spin. I'm into numerology, the planet Jupiter, and I'm afraid of bees. Well, I'm afraid of anything that flies and has a stinger if we're being candid. Bees are just bright and they travel in a gangs. Have you ever been gang banged by a bunch of bees? That's how the kid in My Girl died. Bees ain't no joke.

It was when I was running for my life from a bee hive that I stumbled into the GNOMEs' hidden home where they taught about the wonderful world of Fedora, RPMs, friendly mentors, and, best of all, bee keeping outfits. Now I can bravely walk the world knowing I have a stable platform and safe from being stung by bees.

Unfortunately, I live in American and there's a lot of guns. Do they make bee keeping body armor?

Comment

Working...
                    X