Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Asahi Aims To Provide The Fedora Workstation Experience For Apple Silicon Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Asahi Aims To Provide The Fedora Workstation Experience For Apple Silicon Systems

Phoronix: Fedora Asahi Aims To Provide The Fedora Workstation Experience For Apple Silicon Systems

For those wanting to run Linux bare metal on modern Apple Silicon M1/M2 systems, the easiest way to do so is by using the Asahi Linux distribution with its downstream kernel carrying the latest Apple driver enablement patches for the ARM hardware, the specialized installer for safely setting up the Linux distribution on the Apple, and modern package base provided by Arch Linux. For fans of Fedora Workstation, the Fedora Asahi remix has been working to provide a great Fedora Workstation experience for modern Macs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if it will be rust drivers that finally push compiling the kernel with LLVM into the mainstream. After all, if you need LLVM to compile rust code properly, why even keep GCC around? Why have two compilers? LLVM can compile the kernel for basically every architecture that still matters and everyone else can keep using GCC.

Comment

If Fedora can provide encrypted storage as they allow with normal Fedora installs, I'd be so happy to try using this for my daily needs. Last I tried Asahi, the experience was nice, I just don't like the idea of unencrypted storage, and I'm not fluent on setting it all up without an installer taking care of it for me.

Comment

Fedora, the favourite go-to of open source purists, on a Mac? Doesn't sound like the right combination to me.

Comment

Why doesn't Asahi support 16k page sizes?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            Fedora, the favourite go-to of open source purists, on a Mac? Doesn't sound like the right combination to me.
            I think you might be conflating Fedora with Trisquel.
            Fedora's approach has been more practical and pragmatic (and less religious) then the purist crowd.
            Wanting to avoid legal issues due to licensing or copyright claims does not make one a purist.
            With that said, I think the one thing being overlooked here is the allure of new (exotic) hardware -- especially when it's powerful, energy efficient and well-designed.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
              Why doesn't Asahi support 16k page sizes?
              Apple's hardware is natively 16k pages, with 4k support for Intel/Rosetta compatibility. Linux doesn't support mixed page sizes, so it was a choice between being HW optimal (16k) or keeping user space compatibility and not making virtualization of 4k platforms difficult.

They were working on a solution to the trade-offs, but not sure what it's status is.

Comment

Originally posted by ravyne View Post

Apple's hardware is natively 16k pages, with 4k support for Intel/Rosetta compatibility. Linux doesn't support mixed page sizes, so it was a choice between being HW optimal (16k) or keeping user space compatibility and not making virtualization of 4k platforms difficult.

They were working on a solution to the trade-offs, but not sure what it's status is.
                Right now asahi only supports 16K pages.

Comment

Imagine buying a Apple silicon device to run Linux... What a kludge!

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
                    I wonder if it will be rust drivers that finally push compiling the kernel with LLVM into the mainstream. After all, if you need LLVM to compile rust code properly, why even keep GCC around? Why have two compilers? LLVM can compile the kernel for basically every architecture that still matters and everyone else can keep using GCC.
                    GCC can compile rust, either via the superior but in development https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs or the inferior but complete https://github.com/rust-lang/rustc_codegen_gcc, why use a inferior compiler if you can use GCC? Especially for something as critical in stability as the kernel, LLVM is totally unsuited.
                    Last edited by Alexmitter; 08 February 2023, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X