Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Non-GNU Linux Distribution Built With LLVM & BSD Software Aims For Alpha Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Non-GNU Linux Distribution Built With LLVM & BSD Software Aims For Alpha Next Month

Phoronix: A Non-GNU Linux Distribution Built With LLVM & BSD Software Aims For Alpha Next Month

In development now for nearly two years is Chima Linux as a "non-GNU" Linux distribution built with the LLVM Clang compiler, leveraging musl libc, and commonly relying on BSD user-space software components. After a lot of work on bringing up Chimera Linux as well as getting a Wayland-based deskttop going, the project is aiming for its alpha release within the next month...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/BSD-LL...x-Alpha-Coming
    Last edited by tildearrow; 08 February 2023, 10:55 PM.

Non-GPU? Wha?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Non-GPU? Wha?
      Whoops, lol. Thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If your goal is to make the worst possible linux distro, then this comes close. No coreutils is better then BSD coreutils.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          If your goal is to make the worst possible linux distro, then this comes close. No coreutils is better then BSD coreutils.
          LOL. Are they that bad? Never tried BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Non-GPU? Wha?
            So you don't have to look at the ugliness of Gnome.

Comment

LLVM and musl C are good but if they aren't using systemd, they are basically shooting their users in the foot. A lot of applications rely on systemd to monitor themselves.

Comment

I thought Gnome was part of GNU. It uses GTK, which is either the GNU ToolKit, or the GIMP ToolKit (I don't see it expanded out on their website anymore). If it is the latter, well GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program.

Comment

Originally posted by stompcrash View Post
                  I thought Gnome was part of GNU. It uses GTK, which is either the GNU ToolKit, or the GIMP ToolKit (I don't see it expanded out on their website anymore). If it is the latter, well GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program.
                  Not to mention its reason for existing is their rejection of Qt's original license.

Comment

Originally posted by stompcrash View Post
                    It was. Not any more though.

Comment

Working...
                    X