Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Budgie & Sway Spins Approved For Fedora 38

Phoronix: Fedora Budgie & Sway Spins Approved For Fedora 38

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) has approved of several more changes / new features planned for Fedora 38...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I did a couple Fedora 37 Workstation installs recently (laptop and desktop), and then installed Sway as an additional option (also Hikari and River, but main minimal focus is Sway.) I am getting my "muscle memory" dialed with Sway and am liking it. My original plan was the build up a minimal install, but then I'd be playing with the "nuts and bolts and knobs" forever, and not getting other things done (the intention was/is to create a development environment.) Btw, really liking Gnome better. 43 looks so much more polished than say 3.38. Not sure if this was due to GTK4 and/or libadwaita, but starting to look more professional. Reminds me of when OS X jumped from 10.9 to 10.10. The former now just looks junky - holy Tango baby. Btw, not a fan of macOS window management stuff, but all on pretty decent ascetics. Happy to see some nice Linux options, I like having a Linux base!

Anyway, I'll have to give a Fedora Sway install a "spin" once an option. I'm starting to learn about Kickstart files, etc. as installation profiles. I was originally going to go Arch, but again I would have been playing around with it at the lower levels (just how I am!) and not focusing on what I really should be doing. Lots of Red Hat where I work, so Fedora made sense. And seems like it has a good reputation as a development platform.

Comment

I can't wait for this to come down for the Pinebook Pro!

Comment

Last time I tried, Sway under Fedora had no default config at all, zero shortcuts configured : very unfriendly for new users.
        Hopefully this will help.
        BTW, I like using sway (previously i3) for kiosk projects : light, wayland only, you don't have to care about windows placement, you can easily lock it as needed, etc. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by lateo View Post
          Last time I tried, Sway under Fedora had no default config at all, zero shortcuts configured : very unfriendly for new users.
          Spins don't typically add package specific defaults since configuration that is needed by a specific package should be included in the RPM directly. Ideally upstream includes good defaults. If not reach out to the maintainers listed in the change proposal and they might be open to it.

Comment

I thought Strobl was the main lead for all of Solus. Is he giving up on that and just putting the effort into using someone else's distro now?

Still no updates on the Solus blog since July 11, 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Waethorn View Post
              I thought Strobl was the main lead for all of Solus. Is he giving up on that and just putting the effort into using someone else's distro now?

Still no updates on the Solus blog since July 11, 2021.
              He stopped working on Solus a year ago. https://twitter.com/JoshStrobl/statu...91260340137988

Last edited by Vitorvlv; 03 January 2023, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                My original plan was the build up a minimal install, but then I'd be playing with the "nuts and bolts and knobs" forever, and not getting other things done
                I've been using sway for nearly 3 years now and doing a from scratch install, while informative, is tedious - getting audio, dbus, network manager and alll the rest working can be fiddly to say the least. My current strategy is to simply install ubuntu minimal desktop, then sway alongside and just ignore the gnome session and simply use the gnome stack of apps as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by lateo View Post
                  BTW, I like using sway (previously i3) for kiosk projects : light, wayland only, you don't have to care about windows placement, you can easily lock it as needed, etc. Good stuff.

Yeah, I always just copy the default config file from "/etc/sway/" to "~/.config/sway/" and edit. I use most of the default settings, but one comment I can make is that the default config file feels really "chaotic", and I have cleaned mine up quit a bit. Not sure if this is a carryover from i3, or just how it was put together. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by royce View Post
                  I've been using sway for nearly 3 years now and doing a from scratch install, while informative, is tedious - getting audio, dbus, network manager and alll the rest working can be fiddly to say the least. My current strategy is to simply install ubuntu minimal desktop, then sway alongside and just ignore the gnome session and simply use the gnome stack of apps as needed.
                  Yep, why I just did the Fedora Workstation install this time and quit fiddling with things. And to be honest, sometimes I am finding I want to jump into Gnome anyways, depending on what I need to do. For now this works for me. I really am starting to see some possibilities with the "Linux desktop", and glad to see it, given the other big options are Apple's walled garden, Google's business model, and Microsoft's ever increasing telemetry and "live tile" services trying to distract me with news and crap I do not need, I need to focus! Anyway, I'm starting to work more and more in a Linux environment and that is good. Thanks to all have have and are evolving this to make it a nice option.

Comment

Working...
                  X