Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Budgie Spin Proposed For Fedora 38

Phoronix: Fedora Budgie Spin Proposed For Fedora 38

Budgie desktop lead developer (and former Solus Linux developer) Joshua Strobl has proposed a Fedora Budgie desktop spin for Fedora 38...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Most useless desktop environment ever, its gnome without extension support.

Comment

Originally posted by scirocco View Post
      Most useless desktop environment ever, its gnome without extension support.
      Most useless comment ever, almost completely factually incorrect.

Budgies shares the same window manager as GNOME (mutter), but beyond that it has a completely different codebase and is more like a traditional shell (like Cinnamon for example). It has it's own collection of applets/widgets that can be downloaded and installed independently.

Comment

Kill all other distros, everyone concentrate effort on fedora.

Comment

Solus is a failure. The creator quit in order to make a competing distro (which I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole given his job loyalty), and the latest dev lead left a year and a half ago and there hasn't been any blog updates since then. Their repos are pretty much dead in the water and they use a custom package manager that requires manual intervention because their toolchain sucks.

So now the guy doing the DE, which I might add was supposed to be ported over to Qt long ago under the previous dev lead but was never completed, wants the DE ported to a successful Linux distro, demanding all of his preference baggage on Fedora that wasn't successful under his own project.

Did I miss anything here?

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
            Kill all other distros, everyone concentrate effort on fedora.
            Non sarcastically, Fedora is the best distro out there IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangogeddon View Post

Most useless comment ever, almost completely factually incorrect.

Budgies shares the same window manager as GNOME (mutter), but beyond that it has a completely different codebase and is more like a traditional shell (like Cinnamon for example). It has it's own collection of applets/widgets that can be downloaded and installed independently.
              Yes it does not use gnome shell, but other then that it is gnome, it uses the same settings manager, well the same almost everything as gnome, if it atleast used less system resources I would see a use for it, being like gnome light, but atm it uses slightly more then gnome. And it seems it does not support wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by scirocco View Post

Yes it does not use gnome shell, but other then that it is gnome, it uses the same settings manager, well the same almost everything as gnome, if it atleast used less system resources I would see a use for it, being like gnome light, but atm it uses slightly more then gnome. And it seems it does not support wayland.
                Since I use Ubuntu Budgie 22.04 LTS, I can say that Budgie's Mutter compositor causes stutters in games, which disappear when running the same game inside OpenBox.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

Non sarcastically, Fedora is the best distro out there IMO.
                  Sure, if you love being restricted & held hostage by SELinux...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Sure, if you love being restricted & held hostage by SELinux...
                    Don't be cringe, if you do something that that breaks SELinux, you are doing it wrong. There's always a way to do it properly

Comment

Working...
                    X