Fedora 38 Cleared To Produce "Mobility Phosh" Spins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

I don't care if it is mainstreamed linux desktop is probably not mainstreamed so that is a complete non-argument for every linux user.

But crashes and low battery time and basic functionality should be there at least and when I listen to all the youtubers it's not.
    basic functionality like calls,text,internet right? those all work fine
    5 hours is the screen on idle time about and 40 suspended more then enough for me
    i do crash like 2 times a month while browsing web oh no the horror!

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

My Librem 5 runs for about 9 hours with minimal usage and that's without enabling the experimental support for suspend. That's not good enough for me, but once suspend is fully supported it might be.
      damn the librem 5 is still that bad? the pinephone pro that released near the start of the year has matured to 5 hours screen idle and 40 while suspended with a smaller battery! and it costs a 3rd the price lol the librem 5 is upto 1300 now for some god forsaken reason at this point your scamming yourself if you get it instead of the pinephone/pinephone pro

Comment

Originally posted by Nozo View Post
        For those with x86 tablets probably won't have those issues because those usually use Intel iGPUs, the thing comes with ARM hardware, and ARM lacks a standardized platform making it difficult to run a mainline kernel unlike x86, and GPU driver-wise are usually even worse than NVIDIA in that regard.
        So will Risc be the solution to good linux smartphones?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

So will Risc be the solution to good linux smartphones?
          Well the problem is way Bigger than just the CPU/GPU alone(Wifi BT cameras and Modem need to be supported too). And RISC-V Phones are likely years away till there are good supported chips with the efficency and CPU power needed for phones. Hopefully newer Android devices gets closer to mainline than in the past like planned by google. https://lwn.net/Articles/771974/

The big problem that PostmarketOS and as part linaegeOS have is that the highly customized Android Kernel that got shipped is no longer updated and mainlining the Kernel is way to much work for the FOSS community. (https://lineageos.org/Changelog-26/ Android 12 AOSP’s removal of iptables in favor of eBPF​ means dropping devices with 3.18kernel)

A used phone with a Snapdragon 845 is likely the best chance to test around with a Linux phone based on this https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Devices even with problems like this with the OnePlus6
          Despite being able to run an up to date kernel, we are still dependant on the now aging firmware for features like the bootloader, modem, wifi and bluetooth to function, whilst it is relatively unlikely that a vulnerability is discovered in this firmware, it is absolutely a possibility. Until OnePlus release the signing keys used to sign new versions of the firmware - allowing us to potentially make use of future security patches - we're stuck with what we've got.
          ​​

Comment

Working...
          X