Fedora 40 Looking At Tightening C Language Legacy Support Ahead Of GCC 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 40 Looking At Tightening C Language Legacy Support Ahead Of GCC 14

Phoronix: Fedora 40 Looking At Tightening C Language Legacy Support Ahead Of GCC 14

A change proposal drafted for next year's Fedora 40 is looking at "porting Fedora to modern C" by ensuring the contained C source code of packages is compliant with strict C99 compilers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe related? https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-d...bccb0639e6e240

Comment

C89 for Life!!!

... however the recent POSIX and SUS (which have pretty much converged) does actually dictate C99 these days so I will withhold my invalid complaints that it is reducing portability for no real benefits.

Comment

Someone should warn random bioinformatics tool coders with C and C++ to update their codebase as well. Otherwise more containers for kb sized tools. I am really tired of fixing these codes myself to get a proper compiled tool. Most projects are either orphaned or frozen as the author no longer keeps interest in doing more work. My github page is filled with forks of these.

Comment

Originally posted by BratishkaErik View Post
          Yes, the proposal itself mentions Clang and the linked devel list discussion includes Fedora developers confirming they are coordinating with Gentoo folks on this.

Comment

Working...
          X