Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Mir 2.10 Released With Modernized Touch Events, New Window Move Gesture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Mir 2.10 Released With Modernized Touch Events, New Window Move Gesture

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Mir 2.10 Released With Modernized Touch Events, New Window Move Gesture

A new version of Canonical's Mir open-source display server is now available for what serves as a Wayland compositor for various Ubuntu use-cases around IoT and other niche purposes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm sorry but no one cares.

Follows the path of Bazaar, Launchpad, Ubuntu Touch, Upstart, LightDM, Unity, snap... among the many "success" stories of Canonical reinventing the wheel.
    Last edited by anarki2; 27 October 2022, 06:54 AM.

Comment

If you don't care, why do you read and comment?
      Can't pass on the opportunity to shit on Canonical?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Follows the path of Bazaar, Launchpad, Ubuntu Touch, Upstart, LightDM, Unity, snap... among the many "success" stories of Canonical reinventing the wheel.
        Although Mir may have started out as a display server in competition / as an alternative to Wayland, it is now a proper Wayland compositor. At least that is how I understand things. I get that too many compositors, helper libraries, etc. can be seen as a form of its own fragmentation, but it also creates space for trying different things out under the Wayland "umbrella" (couldn't find a better way to put this.)

I am starting to get excited about the potential for Linux desktops. As different things are explored, hopefully some "best practices" emerge (and these too can evolve.) Sometimes you need to trudge down a few dead ends in order to gain some insights for going forward. People trying different things out may seem like a waste of resources, and certainly they can be, but they can also be an opportunity to explore and see what comes of it.

Comment

LightDM is the default DM for Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce on several distributions, and Upstart is the init used by Chrome OS believe it or not, so I wouldn't put them in the same basket as the rest of those projects.

Comment

I’m sorry but saying “no one” cares is the narcissist’s way of saying “I” don’t care. UBPorts carries on the Ubuntu Touch banner and progress is being made even without Canonical.

Why do you hate freedom of choice?

Comment

Working...
            X