No announcement yet.

Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance Is Very Close On The AMD Ryzen 9 7950X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not happy about those Zstd level 3 compression results. On Linux there are people, including myself, that use Zstd for file system compression. If it should be running at 1.5-3 GB/s faster than that's ridiculous. It's still fast enough that I'm getting a bandwidth improvement on my Sabrent Rocket (4.4GB peak write) but apparently it could be a lot better. At least decompression speed is on-par.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      Is there still a way to install Win 11 without a MS-account? I couldn't get around that, on Win 10 you could just disconnect the LAN and it was fine.

And dismissing it because of an MS account is not religious? By the way I'm using Win 10 for gaming so your argument is really weak.
      Yes to the first question. You use a locked account to bypass the requirement. If you enter for example (till Microsoft blocks this route anyway) [email protected] it will error with a locked account (too many password failures) and drop you to a local account creation screen.

Second question: No. A religious argument or reply is one that ignores given facts to state unproven or factually refuted opinion. In this case it's clear that the benchmarks suggest Win 11 22H2 has performance in these specific cases are largely on par with Ubuntu given the stated parameters. Moving the goal posts with unproven statements like "well 6.1 will wipe the floor with..." as one poster stated is a religious statement and at best speculative. It boils down to taking something "on faith" and not on any facts since Linux 6.1 has only just now been opened for feature additions so we don't really know what final form Linux 6.1 will take, whether the AMD power management bug correction will make any practical difference in workload performance or if it simply improves idle states and therefore lowers power requirements (still a win).

On the other hand, there are factual privacy & legal arguments to be made about wanting or requiring local & on prem accounts instead of Microsoft's wish for everyone to use Microsoft cloud logins for Windows 11. That's not a religious argument because it relies on factual issues, including the lack of facts and communication from Microsoft about the privacy issues surrounding local versus cloud based login profiles. Not everyone that desires or needs privacy compliance can afford the volume licensing and server agreements on prem would require with Windows 11. Group policies can only go so far, and are subject to deprecation or breakage as I just found out yesterday evening. Hell, Microsoft is even forcing enterprises off on prem with some of the upcoming server side refreshes and Microsoft's custodianship of cloud Exchange is probably no better than a well funded & security conscious IT department given the problems under active exploit they've failed to fix anywhere.

What you're using for gaming is really immaterial to the argument about Windows 11 performance, though it's germane for discussion of privacy issues (since it's still possible to install 10 with a local account profile, and hopefully it will remain so. If they try to force it on 10 like they have in 11 I will be re-evaluating my options.) Also, just as a side note, have you checked to be sure you don't have driver packages also phoning home to their various manufacturers? I ran across several that have been doing so and not all of them have easy workarounds nor can you not install them - Windows Update will force their installation. Windows is becoming a security nightmare bar none regardless of 10 or 11. It's just that 10 is slightly less bad than 11 in this case.

Vistaus No the one I'm talking about was recently introduced in Windows 11 22H2. I don't know what you're referring to.
      https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-windows-11-22h2-causes-file-copy-performance-hit/

One of the reasons I rolled back happens to be some of the bugs they keep introducing in 11 that don't exist in 10. That's one of them. The straw that broke the camel just happened to be when I installed this month's cumulative they tried to prompt me to create or link a MS account again.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        So it's either that Ubuntu is that bad or Windows that good!
        I think it's the first one.
        I read this more like Ubuntu has became bloated like Windows...

Comment

Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance Is Very Close

As usual. But linux fanboys despite the results will still claim that windows is very slow as a turtle and penguin has the power of a cheetah .

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Yes to the first question. You use a locked account to bypass the requirement. If you enter for example (till Microsoft blocks this route anyway) [email protected] it will error with a locked account (too many password failures) and drop you to a local account creation screen.
            THX, I'll try that next time I have a Win 11 PC to fool around.

A religious argument or reply is one that ignores given facts to state unproven or factually refuted opinion.
            Since my argument is not refuted or unproven you kind of rushed over your head with those accusations. But you should also know that it was just a sarcastic comment, I like to poke at open wounds sometimes.

On the other hand, there are factual privacy & legal arguments to be made about wanting or requiring local & on prem accounts instead of Microsoft's wish for everyone to use Microsoft cloud logins for Windows 11.
            That's strange, even if you have a local account, as long as you are connected to the net you don't know what the closed source OS is sending to MS. There is "telemetry" or lets call it more accurate "unknown encrypted data" send to MS servers regularly. Its also not easy to block if you still want to get "security updates" of which you either can't know what they are changing in your system.

And no, me not wanting an MS account is not religous, its ideological.

though it's germane for discussion of privacy issues (since it's still possible to install 10 with a local account profile, and hopefully it will remain so. If they try to force it on 10 like they have in 11 I will be re-evaluating my options.
            That becomes irrelevant in 2025 when you get no more updates for win 10, no need for them to force an MS account there.

Also, just as a side note, have you checked to be sure you don't have driver packages also phoning home to their various manufacturers?
            Yeah its best to not do any security or privacy sensitive stuff on Win, for a pure gaming plattform I think it's fine. Maybe if they see there are still people playing dragon age origins and KOTOR they start to make good games again.

Also I have to deal with Win 10 and in the near future with 11 at work, so I need to stay on the edge and know the tricks and quirks to keep the most stress away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
              Is there still a way to install Win 11 without a MS-account? I couldn't get around that, on Win 10 you could just disconnect the LAN and it was fine.
              There is a non official way to hack it but I can't remember what it is (or even if it still works for that matter).

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724
                Lets be real, anyone arguing privacy with Windows isn't doing anything remotely interesting enough for anyone to care.
                Strange, so why is every one after such data like it's the new gold rush? Why are companys paying for such data? Why would the NSA have a shitload of amazon servers to save and analyse all private data they can get from US citizens and the rest of the world if that is totally uninteresting?

Microsoft certainly doesn't allow free-access from anyone to your information.
                Certainly not, they want to make money after all.

Meanwhile most people arguing this are typing it from Google Chrome, ISP DNS and/or no DoH, Secure Boot disabled, IOMMU disabled or passthrough, no MAC (like most Arch users), no memory encryption (requires a kernel option for AMD unless you're relying on the assumption that TSME is working), mitigations=off, cloud password managers, saving passwords and card info to their browser keycain, and other nonsense that's notably less-secure than what Windows presents at default. I guarantee most people running Linux with TPM2 don't put in any effort in to make the TPM even do anything, whereas it gets attested and used for security out-the-box on Windows.
                You know a lot of technologies that are security related but you fail to understand what they do and how they are used. Non of that stuff helps you against your operating system supplier spying on your every move.

What do people who argue "privacy" with Windows actually mean?
                Typically what every one means who's talking about privacy, isn't this a commonly accepted term? You can check this stuff on wikipedia if its really necessary.

Anyone else who cares about privacy that deeply knows they should be on Tails and not making a point about it.
                He whose name shall not be spoken!

Comment

Great stuff Michael, thanks.

Question, are you planning in doing a follow up article but with games?

If yes, would you be using Ubuntu or HoloISO?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    So it's either that Ubuntu is that bad or Windows that good!
                    I think it's the first one.
                    that's a bad news

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Windows will never reach Linux performance. It would have to be rewritten completely. There's something strange going on in above tests. I bet the final Linux 6.1 would wipe the floor with Windows as usual.
                      I love the sweet smell of denial when Linux apologists cannot handle the fact that Linux isn't perfect and hence cannot beat Windows in everything.
                      Last edited by mdedetrich; 13 October 2022, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X