No announcement yet.

Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance Is Very Close On The AMD Ryzen 9 7950X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance Is Very Close On The AMD Ryzen 9 7950X

Phoronix: Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance Is Very Close On The AMD Ryzen 9 7950X

One of the leading test requests at Phoronix around my AMD Zen 4 Linux benchmarking has been some side-by-side comparisons against Microsoft Windows 11. While older, high core count AMD systems have particularly performed very well under Linux against Windows, with new hardware there is sometimes hiccups and various limitations with the at-launch support especially on the open-source Linux side. So for your viewing pleasure today are some initial AMD Ryzen 9 7950X benchmarks under Microsoft Windows 11 22H2 up against Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and a near-final development snapshot of the upcoming Ubuntu 22.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So it's either that Ubuntu is that bad or Windows that good!
    I think it's the first one.

Comment

I wonder what differences could yield 60%+ difference for "trivially" CPU and IO bound programs?
      Like zstd compression. Shouldn't that be pretty straight forward on both platforms?
      Only compiler differences? Decompressions seems to behave somewhat as expected?

Comment

Win 11 got lucky, if michael had tested large file copy ...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          So it's either that Ubuntu is that bad or Windows that good!
          I think it's the first one.
          11 is improving on the performance front. That's not a fluke. I just spent 2 weeks with Windows 11 and I couldn't complain about its performance except in one case that's a known bug (copying multiple very large files via certain paths is slow). What eventually prompted me to restore 10 is that 11 is even more aggressive, even with Pro, at pushing ads about its cloud services in people's faces along with trying to push people into signing up their user account with Microsoft cloud login instead of a local account. That is something I will never do so goodbye 11 (permanently when this months update tried to push me into changing my account type again). Yes I know I could tell it no, but I shouldn't have to more than once.

Anux Yes, that's a known bug and Microsoft will be fixing it. So what? Like Linux doesn't have performance affecting bugs and regressions. Let's not run down Windows just because you don't like it and it's fashionable to hate on it in certain circles like this one. Credit is where credit is due. The numbers are clear. Dismissing them because you don't like the result makes you a religious zealot. There are many reasons not to like Windows 11, but its performance metrics increasingly aren't one of them.
          Last edited by stormcrow; 12 October 2022, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
            Yes I know I could tell it no, but I shouldn't have to more than once.
            Is there still a way to install Win 11 without a MS-account? I couldn't get around that, on Win 10 you could just disconnect the LAN and it was fine.
            Anux Dismissing them because you don't like the result makes you a religious zealot.
            And dismissing it because of an MS account is not religious? By the way I'm using Win 10 for gaming so your argument is really weak.

Comment

11 is improving on the performance front. That's not a fluke.
              Windows will never reach Linux performance. It would have to be rewritten completely. There's something strange going on in above tests. I bet the final Linux 6.1 would wipe the floor with Windows as usual.

Let's not run down Windows just because you don't like it and it's fashionable to hate on it in certain circles like this one.
              There are dozens of much more serious reasons to stay away from m$ winblows as far as possible. Privacy and security to name two. Try better next time.
              Last edited by Volta; 12 October 2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Yes, that's a known bug and Microsoft will be fixing it. So what? Like Linux doesn't have performance affecting bugs and regressions.
                Oh yes they will be fixing it, they say that since windows xp, wasn't fixed in vista, wasn't fixed in 7, was supposed to be fixed in 8, but it got worse, was supposed to be fixed with win 10, but it still exists, and now it's back in force with win 11.

Comment

Rule 0 of Linux benchmarking:
                  Use the performance governor, unless you want to measure power related stuff...

Comment

Anux Yes, that's a known bug and Microsoft will be fixing it.
                    That bug was already present in Windows XP. How long does it take them to fix that?

People say Linux app/DE development is slow, but if it takes MS 20+ years to fix a fairly trivial bug...

Comment

Working...
                    X