X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Anux View Post
    Is there still a way to install Win 11 without a MS-account? I couldn't get around that, on Win 10 you could just disconnect the LAN and it was fine.

And dismissing it because of an MS account is not religious? By the way I'm using Win 10 for gaming so your argument is really weak.
    Yes to the first question. You use a locked account to bypass the requirement. If you enter for example (till Microsoft blocks this route anyway) [email protected] it will error with a locked account (too many password failures) and drop you to a local account creation screen.

Second question: No. A religious argument or reply is one that ignores given facts to state unproven or factually refuted opinion. In this case it's clear that the benchmarks suggest Win 11 22H2 has performance in these specific cases are largely on par with Ubuntu given the stated parameters. Moving the goal posts with unproven statements like "well 6.1 will wipe the floor with..." as one poster stated is a religious statement and at best speculative. It boils down to taking something "on faith" and not on any facts since Linux 6.1 has only just now been opened for feature additions so we don't really know what final form Linux 6.1 will take, whether the AMD power management bug correction will make any practical difference in workload performance or if it simply improves idle states and therefore lowers power requirements (still a win).

On the other hand, there are factual privacy & legal arguments to be made about wanting or requiring local & on prem accounts instead of Microsoft's wish for everyone to use Microsoft cloud logins for Windows 11. That's not a religious argument because it relies on factual issues, including the lack of facts and communication from Microsoft about the privacy issues surrounding local versus cloud based login profiles. Not everyone that desires or needs privacy compliance can afford the volume licensing and server agreements on prem would require with Windows 11. Group policies can only go so far, and are subject to deprecation or breakage as I just found out yesterday evening. Hell, Microsoft is even forcing enterprises off on prem with some of the upcoming server side refreshes and Microsoft's custodianship of cloud Exchange is probably no better than a well funded & security conscious IT department given the problems under active exploit they've failed to fix anywhere.

What you're using for gaming is really immaterial to the argument about Windows 11 performance, though it's germane for discussion of privacy issues (since it's still possible to install 10 with a local account profile, and hopefully it will remain so. If they try to force it on 10 like they have in 11 I will be re-evaluating my options.) Also, just as a side note, have you checked to be sure you don't have driver packages also phoning home to their various manufacturers? I ran across several that have been doing so and not all of them have easy workarounds nor can you not install them - Windows Update will force their installation. Windows is becoming a security nightmare bar none regardless of 10 or 11. It's just that 10 is slightly less bad than 11 in this case.

Vistaus No the one I'm talking about was recently introduced in Windows 11 22H2. I don't know what you're referring to.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-windows-11-22h2-causes-file-copy-performance-hit/

One of the reasons I rolled back happens to be some of the bugs they keep introducing in 11 that don't exist in 10. That's one of them. The straw that broke the camel just happened to be when I installed this month's cumulative they tried to prompt me to create or link a MS account again.

Leave a comment:

• Myownfriend
    replied
    I'm not happy about those Zstd level 3 compression results. On Linux there are people, including myself, that use Zstd for file system compression. If it should be running at 1.5-3 GB/s faster than that's ridiculous. It's still fast enough that I'm getting a bandwidth improvement on my Sabrent Rocket (4.4GB peak write) but apparently it could be a lot better. At least decompression speed is on-par.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Anux Yes, that's a known bug and Microsoft will be fixing it.
    That bug was already present in Windows XP. How long does it take them to fix that?

People say Linux app/DE development is slow, but if it takes MS 20+ years to fix a fairly trivial bug...

Leave a comment:

• marios
    replied
    Rule 0 of Linux benchmarking:
    Use the performance governor, unless you want to measure power related stuff...

Leave a comment:

• Jahimself
    replied
    Yes, that's a known bug and Microsoft will be fixing it. So what? Like Linux doesn't have performance affecting bugs and regressions.
    Oh yes they will be fixing it, they say that since windows xp, wasn't fixed in vista, wasn't fixed in 7, was supposed to be fixed in 8, but it got worse, was supposed to be fixed with win 10, but it still exists, and now it's back in force with win 11.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied

11 is improving on the performance front. That's not a fluke.
    Windows will never reach Linux performance. It would have to be rewritten completely. There's something strange going on in above tests. I bet the final Linux 6.1 would wipe the floor with Windows as usual.

Let's not run down Windows just because you don't like it and it's fashionable to hate on it in certain circles like this one.
    There are dozens of much more serious reasons to stay away from m$ winblows as far as possible. Privacy and security to name two. Try better next time.
    Last edited by Volta; 12 October 2022, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    Yes I know I could tell it no, but I shouldn't have to more than once.
    Is there still a way to install Win 11 without a MS-account? I couldn't get around that, on Win 10 you could just disconnect the LAN and it was fine.
    Anux Dismissing them because you don't like the result makes you a religious zealot.
    And dismissing it because of an MS account is not religious? By the way I'm using Win 10 for gaming so your argument is really weak.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    So it's either that Ubuntu is that bad or Windows that good!
    I think it's the first one.
    11 is improving on the performance front. That's not a fluke. I just spent 2 weeks with Windows 11 and I couldn't complain about its performance except in one case that's a known bug (copying multiple very large files via certain paths is slow). What eventually prompted me to restore 10 is that 11 is even more aggressive, even with Pro, at pushing ads about its cloud services in people's faces along with trying to push people into signing up their user account with Microsoft cloud login instead of a local account. That is something I will never do so goodbye 11 (permanently when this months update tried to push me into changing my account type again). Yes I know I could tell it no, but I shouldn't have to more than once.

Anux Yes, that's a known bug and Microsoft will be fixing it. So what? Like Linux doesn't have performance affecting bugs and regressions. Let's not run down Windows just because you don't like it and it's fashionable to hate on it in certain circles like this one. Credit is where credit is due. The numbers are clear. Dismissing them because you don't like the result makes you a religious zealot. There are many reasons not to like Windows 11, but its performance metrics increasingly aren't one of them.
    Last edited by stormcrow; 12 October 2022, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    Win 11 got lucky, if michael had tested large file copy ...

Leave a comment:

• milkylainen
    replied
    I wonder what differences could yield 60%+ difference for "trivially" CPU and IO bound programs?
    Like zstd compression. Shouldn't that be pretty straight forward on both platforms?
    Only compiler differences? Decompressions seems to behave somewhat as expected?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X