Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUSE Publishes First Prototype Of Adaptable Linux Platform (ALP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE Publishes First Prototype Of Adaptable Linux Platform (ALP)

Phoronix: SUSE Publishes First Prototype Of Adaptable Linux Platform (ALP)

After SUSE/openSUSE engineers began talking up the Adaptable Linux Platform "ALP" as their next-gen enterprise Linux focus, last week they talked up the imminent release of "Les Droites" as their first public ALP prototype. Today that prototype is now live...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm loving the innovation from SUSE and Fedora. Thanks SUSE for doing public prototypes and listening to the feedback about limiting to x86_64-v3.

Podman is a wonderful tool. I hope the other distros will keep the packages up to date. I've gotten massive headaches trying to get the latest security patches or docker compatibility in .deb based distros.

Please give some love to https://github.com/latchset/clevis and https://github.com/latchset/tang I am currently using it on Ubuntu LTS. I had to make many changes for it to work. I have a fully encrypted SBC on a UPS which does WoL and automatic startup boot for my servers at home with full disk encryption. We have daily power outages and I need to shut down my systems multiple times per day. I think many others will find clevis (and tang) useful.

I'm looking forward to testing/reviewing this prototype. Keep it up.

Comment

Do we have any view from suse on whether they are moving away from AppArmor in favour of SELinux, or do they intend to use both in future?

Comment

but why all this duplicated work when there is already the well established Adaptable T2 Linux Platform? https://t2sde.org/ Not invented here syndrome?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          but why all this duplicated work when there is already the well established Adaptable T2 Linux Platform? https://t2sde.org/ Not invented here syndrome?
          I don't know t2sde very well so maybe you can help me out.

I don't think it's duplicated work. Without getting too philosophical the projects seems to take different approaches and uses very different tooling.

Both might have the same objectives but the way that those objectives are accomplished are very very different. Think of a truck and a boat. Both transport large amounts of things. The way that they transport things are very different and each has their pros, cons and even sub objectives.

T2sde seems to target many platforms and even potentially operating systems. SUSE's approach requires/relies-on cgroups to handle many underlying functions. Both will have their pros and cons because of that big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            You answer that question yourself on your homepage:

T2 SDE is not just a regular Linux distribution - it is a flexible Open Source System Development Environment or Distribution Build Kit (others might even name it Meta Distribution). T2 allows the creation of custom distributions with state of the art technology, up-to-date packages and integrated support for cross compilation.​
            Whereas SUSE describes ALP as:

The idea behind ALP is to allow users to focus on their workloads while abstracting from the hardware and the application layer. With the usage of virtual machines and container technologies, the Adaptable Linux Platform allows workloads to be independent of the code stream.
            The simplistic view is that the T2SDE focus is on creating an operating system while the SUSE focus is on using an operating system. They just happen to both use containers somewhere in the process.

Originally posted by Fedora_Silverblue
            but why all this duplicated work when there is already the well established Fedora Silverblue platform? We made or bought all this first.

Quit stealing our stuff, SUSE. You stole our package format. You stole our file system. And now you're stealing our containerized operating system. You all are some damn thieving ass tossers.
            ​

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
              I'm loving the innovation from SUSE and Fedora. Thanks SUSE for doing public prototypes and listening to the feedback about limiting to x86_64-v3.

Podman is a wonderful tool. I hope the other distros will keep the packages up to date. I've gotten massive headaches trying to get the latest security patches or docker compatibility in .deb based distros.

Please give some love to https://github.com/latchset/clevis and https://github.com/latchset/tang I am currently using it on Ubuntu LTS. I had to make many changes for it to work. I have a fully encrypted SBC on a UPS which does WoL and automatic startup boot for my servers at home with full disk encryption. We have daily power outages and I need to shut down my systems multiple times per day. I think many others will find clevis (and tang) useful.

I'm looking forward to testing/reviewing this prototype. Keep it up.
              Typo? It's x86_64-v2 with potentially v3 or v4 coming in the future with hwcaps.

One thing I did notice is that BTRFS is a hard requirement for ALP. I wonder if it is due to reflinks and other things of that nature. If so, that's great.

Whatever the case, I'm very interested in ALP.

Every single time I've typed ALP today I typed APL first. It got old very fast but my pinkie is being a moron today and won't quit it.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Typo? It's x86_64-v2 with potentially v3 or v4 coming in the future with hwcaps.
                I mean that if they did not listen to feedback the baseline would have been x86_64-v3.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
                  Do we have any view from suse on whether they are moving away from AppArmor in favour of SELinux, or do they intend to use both in future?

Prototype goes with selinux by default (even if initially permissive, for easier prototyping system component containerization).

Comment

Working...
                  X