Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian To Carry Patches For GNOME Dynamic Triple Buffering

Phoronix: Debian To Carry Patches For GNOME Dynamic Triple Buffering

There's been a lot happening in Debian recently from improving their handling of non-free firmware to switching to PipeWire and WirePlumber with Debian 12. Another change on the way is picking up Ubuntu's work on dynamic triple buffering for the GNOME desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those using a screen reader that speaks text to blind and low-vision users, I have decided to provide an alternate text in order to satisfy WCAG 1.1.1, but then people using a screen reader will have to come here so that screen readers can read alternate text. Screen readers cannot read text from images.

Code:
    * Add patches from Ubuntu
      - Support-Dynamic-triple-double-buffering.patch
      - backends-native-kms-crtc-Don-t-compare-gamma-values-on-un.patch
          + Avoid memory errors when comparing gamma values
      - wayland-data-device-Allow-any-drag-timestamp....patch
          + Allow any drag timestamp as drag start serial
    * debian/libmutter-11-0.symbols: Add new symbols from triple buffering patch
    I hope I can be of help! Let me know if anyone with eyesight encounters any errors. I would say that most of the images in articles do not have alternative text except for "author picture." Probably that avatar should have role="presentation" set with empty alternate text so that screen readers can ignore it. Images describe the "purpose" and not "content."

Comment

This patch is a good indicator as to what distros are worth using. Any disto that has it implemented cares more about the user experience than packaging, and so far, that's only Ubuntu and Debian.

Comment

I wish they would care about KDE Plasma too as much as they care about Gnome!
        The whole PipeWire for Gnome only made me think they don't.
        I also saw that in their installer the first option for a desktop environment is something confusingly called "Debian desktop environment" which I assume is just Gnome.
        Then the second option is Gnome.
        And both of them are checked by default
        How can you be more biased than that?
        If you install the KDE Plasma desktop environment, it doesn't install it with all the packages, for example the file sharing packages are missing so you don't see a "Share" tab by default on folders and you have to figure out what package is missing.
        I wonder if KDE developers would submit some patches would they be accepted so easy.

Comment

Wake up babe, they mention gnome again

bd1.png

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            This patch is a good indicator as to what distros are worth using. Any disto that has it implemented cares more about the user experience than packaging, and so far, that's only Ubuntu and Debian.
            Any distro that uses Gnome as their default DE, doesn't care about the user experience...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Any distro that uses Gnome as their default DE, doesn't care about the user experience...
              Yep, I'm sure Canonical and Red Hat are jokes and don't care about end-users

How many distros are first-classing KDE, and then how many of those distros are actually relevant?

Comment

How many distros are first-classing KDE, and then how many of those distros are actually relevant?
                It is a sad state. I just recently started using KDE Neon to see what a first class KDE experience looks like... its amazing! I have always struggled severely to work with Gnome... I would use it for several months then something would glitch and I would have to switch. Typically it was KDE on Pop_OS. Now with KDE Neon its an amazingly seamless experience.

The only drag right now is that they have yet to release their 22.04 version of Neon.

Comment

The two companies you mentioned, you get that they make money out of server distros right? And those use command line interfaces? So they are a success in spite of using Gnome, not because of it...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

The two companies you mentioned, you get that they make money out of server distros right? And those use command line interfaces? So they are a success in spite of using Gnome, not because of it...
                    Are you implying that they only care about their server distros, and intentionally ship junk and do no QA for the desktop distros where they have and continue to first-class GNOME, including the future Fedora 37 and Ubuntu 22.10 releases?

Comment

Working...
                    X