Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76's Pop!_OS COSMIC Desktop To Make Use Of Iced Rust Toolkit Rather Than GTK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

=zexelon;n1349535
    I am very curious to see what S76 does with their own DE as I think out of all the Gnome setups, theirs was by far the best and only one worth running if you had to use Gnome.
    what I am personally interested in is the compositor specifically, it's being built on top of smithay, which is a "wlroots compatible" as I've come to terming it, (where it implements a good portion of what wlroots implements) and the dock and panel that accompany it. I've tried it out a bit here and there and while super basic, you can test some of the things like applet and panels stuff. quite excited to see how it goes.

Comment

This is definitely a good thing. Given the branch of GTK and Qt development in the wrong direction. The only thing left is to wait for the release of a trimmed Qt branch, but what about GTK, how to use its applications without installing many packages...

Comment

Originally posted by ATLief View Post

You probably say the exact same about SystemD.
        Typical Gnome fan assuming all kind of wrong things to confort himself.

I don´t give a rat´s ass about systemd, or whatever it superseded.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

No there is not a "massive amount of people waiting". That's just an observation in your bubble.
          Bubble is yours.
          Actually, it´s the sand you buried your head into.

There is a massive amount of people who just barely cope with Gnome or KDE, and wants something more convincing. But you need to read and have an open mind to acknowledge it.

Comment

If the end result is a better experience with much faster code running the desktop then I'm all for rewrites... But I do wonder how long until we will see some decent results.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              Bubble is yours.
              Actually, it´s the sand you buried your head into.

There is a massive amount of people who just barely cope with Gnome or KDE, and wants something more convincing. But you need to read and have an open mind to acknowledge it.
              I gave up, I use wayfire, I've thrown away all of the nice features, but hey, it's stable at least.

Comment

Sup, gnomies?

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post

Are you high? Unity winning the hearts and minds of users? LOL!!! Hell no. Not even close. Gnome 2.0 was the only GTK based desktop that a clear majority liked/used. As soon as Gnome 3.0 and Canonical moved away from the classical Gnome 2.0/Start Menu paradigm, the users abandoned it and forked gnome to make Mate / Cinnamon (a ton moved to XFCE4 until Mate / Cinnamon got up) etc. The biggest leap backwards Linux ever made as a desktop platform was in adopting a tablet PC interface. It crippled the desktops for years as no one knew what to make or how to make it. How to make it effective/integrated (not to mention support multi-monitor like anyone who cared about productivity was using it). And the worst thing of all: How to make it without screwing up the workflow of users who had happily adopted/worked with Gnome 2.0 for years.
                  I agree with you that Gnome 2 was the last time Gnome was good and felt modern (for that time).
                  Now the paradigm has lived though and we need both a modern paradigm and a good implementation of it.
                  Gnome 3-40 is such a bad take at the new paradigm that it manages to feel outdated, and it gets more criticism than any other DE before, as half its users are unhappy with it.

Unity absolutely won the hearts. It´s factual. Whether you like it or not, around 2015, you could see Unity regularly popping up on TV shows or in designer´s workflows. It was the cool thing to show and Ubuntu was at its absolute popularity peak by then. They´ve been losing traction ever since they switched back to Gnome and it´s really no surprise. Fedora also lost any kind of momentum when Gnome 3 got out and they never bounced back from it

In comparison to Unity, nobody has ever seen Gnome 3-40 anywhere in the medias as it just doesn´t attract people, especially due to the poor theme that adwaita is.

PS: Multi-monitor management was absolutely flawless in Unity. Gnome is not designed with multi-monitor in mind and still doesn´t handle it well to this day. Multi-monitor add-on has been one of the most used extension for 10 years fort that exact reason.
                  It´s so bad that other DEs using Mutter have the exact same difficulty to manage multi-monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I gave up, I use wayfire, I've thrown away all of the nice features, but hey, it's stable at least.
                    What features are you talking about exactly? Lmao

I tried wayfire but man, this was not usable in any kind of way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                      Red Hat is one of the best company at manipulating and influencing minds with little will of their own. I suspect it's because they pay people to do so, there are quite a bunch on Phoronix. But that's another topic.
                      The funny thing (and proof of how wrong you are) is that current gnome development is not even being lead by Red Hat. They maintain and develop parts of the historical stack, not the new fangled bits.

All the changes you are critical of are lead by non-RedHat employed individual community members, Purism and EndlessFoundation.

Granted they all need the base provided by Red Hat to excel, but Red Hat isnt leading, dictating or often even involved in the discussions.

Probably grossly misrepresenting the number of contributions, but the focus of work for the desktop stack (ignoring lower stack kernel, drivers, systemd where Red Hat is heavily invested) is along the lines of:
                      Red Hat's work is focused on things like pipewire, (gtk) toolkit, settings, VTE, developing the High Dynamic Range and Colour stack etc.
                      Purism focuses on libadwaita and the linked app ecosystem.
                      Endless focuses on the Gnome Shell.
                      Flatpak and portal development is mostly shared by Endless and Red Hat (and used by Purism).
                      (Canonical and other companies do stuff across the board without me having a sense of a strong sense of focus on a particular part of the stack)

You may hate "Red Hat" and its conspiracy but the foundational technologies they work on benefits us all. However their developers have stayed away from the new focus precisely because they have been burnt out by adhominems spread by posts like yours.

I am looking to see where they get with the HDR milestone within the next 6 months.

Comment

Working...
                      X