Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE ALP Prototype "Les Droites" Releasing This Week

Phoronix: openSUSE ALP Prototype "Les Droites" Releasing This Week

Earlier this year it was shared that SUSE/openSUSE is developing the Adaptable Linux Platform "ALP" for next-generation SUSE Linux Enterprise. Coming out later this week is the first public preview of openSUSE ALP...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

People forget that Japer Lake is a 2021 CPU series and lacks AVX and AVX2. There are lots of budget Intel processors that lack V3 instructions.

Comment

"Les Droites" is french for "The Rights". Which isn't rights as in civil rights (that'd be "les droits"), but rather political right. It also is slang for a punch in the face ("je vais te mettre une droite" = "I'm gonna give you a right").

I'm guessing they want to start their endeavour with a punch?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
        "Les Droites" is french for "The Rights". Which isn't rights as in civil rights (that'd be "les droits"), but rather political right. It also is slang for a punch in the face ("je vais te mettre une droite" = "I'm gonna give you a right").

It's named after the mountain in the ALPs.

Comment

I'm not a fan of TPM based FDE by default. I've had times where my CPU or motherboard went out but my hard drives didn't. With a TPM FDE setup I'll lose all my data if that ever happens. No thanks. I'd rather use regular FDE with old fashioned things like passwords and USB security keys rather than rely on a chip on my motherboard or something my processor is emulating. I'd hate to upgrade my Zen 2 or motherboard and accidentally F...DE myself.

I also noticed the letters G, D, and M next to the phrase "Display Manager". I'm not a fan of what desktop environment that implies.

Can't really see anything else to complain about. I'd have to actually use it to comment from here.

Does anyone from SUSE know if the end-game is to replace LEAP with this?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            People forget that Japer Lake is a 2021 CPU series and lacks AVX and AVX2. There are lots of budget Intel processors that lack V3 instructions.
            Damn shame, ain't it? You'd think the market leader wouldn't be the one releasing the products that hold everyone back by 10 years.

Comment

Les Droites is the name of a 10km-wide 60 degree peak in the Swiss Alps. It's a punny reference to ALP. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I'm not a fan of TPM based FDE by default. I've had times where my CPU or motherboard went out but my hard drives didn't. With a TPM FDE setup I'll lose all my data if that ever happens.
                No, you don't. The TPM just stores the key, and you can keep a copy in another safe place.

Comment

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post

No, you don't. The TPM just stores the key, and you can keep a copy in another safe place.
                  And you can add as many additional keys and passphrases as you like.

Comment

[Native French speaker]
                    "Droite" also means "straight" (feminine variant of "droit") as in "straight line" (a straight line is actually called "une droite" in geometry).
                    As nadir said, it comes from the name of a summit, which is likely named this way rather because of the "straight" meaning than for political reasons. But, yes, when you read "les droites" in a French newspaper, it is usually about politics; this summit is rather unknown.
                    Last edited by ALRBP; 26 September 2022, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X