X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    For things like that I use wine or xen. Aren't that difficult.
    Wait a minute, xen requires windows and wine is emulation. Are you now conceding that linux does not have all the solutions needed to effectively replace windows? (BTW most of those apps won't run in wine)

I transcode a lot, to xvid and x264.It's quick and easy with DVDrip and handbrake. Why without GPU?
    Handbrake on a sempron is slow as molasses, with a 8800GT it skins it alive in time to encode when compared to a older CPU

2 or 10 doen;t matter. I don't use to go back and read the posts again and agian. I'm sory for the inconvenience.
    That's why you use quotes, to snapshot your reply to's.

Sorry I don't understand that. No native english speeker here.
    FUD = Fear, uncertianty and doubt

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by susikala View Post
    Haha Apopas, look what you did, you made deanjo comment his edits.
    Hahaha as if was bad written code huh? That's Linux a lot of guys will be furious to say

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    You know of apps in linux that can handle:
    realtime landscaping
    agexpert analyst for his farm accounting
    quicktax to do his tax returns (Canadian edition)
    plus a whole schwack load of lottery analysis programs, in linux?
    For things like that I use wine or xen. Aren't that difficult.

Ever try doing x264 for multiple devices on a sempron without GPU encoding?
    I transcode a lot, to xvid and x264.It's quick and easy with DVDrip and handbrake. Why without GPU?

You told me I never answered your question 2 hours after I did. It was edited to add on the pulseaudio statement. Everything else is the same.
    2 or 10 doen;t matter. I don't use to go back and read the posts again and agian. I'm sory for the inconvenience.

Gullible to FUD more like it.
    Sorry I don't understand that. No native english speeker here.

Leave a comment:

• susikala
    replied
    Haha Apopas, look what you did, you made deanjo comment his edits.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Yeah... usual habbit of Linux users...
    You know of apps in linux that can handle:
    realtime landscaping
    agexpert analyst for his farm accounting
    quicktax to do his tax returns (Canadian edition)
    plus a whole schwack load of lottery analysis programs, in linux?

Transcoding in Linux is a hard job huh?
    Ever try doing x264 for multiple devices on a sempron without GPU encoding?

Yeah I answered to your post at 12:45 and you edited it at 12:47...
    You told me I never answered your question 2 hours after I did. It was edited to add on the pulseaudio statement. Everything else is the same.

Breaks? Well I gave ya few examples of average users who found piece with Linux but you keep argue. As you wish, it seems that the average users I know and persuaded to make the transition are just genious...
    Gullible to FUD more like it.
    Last edited by deanjo; 23 May 2009, 08:13 PM. Reason: Edited to add "in linux" to question

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Upgrade editions are certianly cheaper then having to pay for someone to write custom code.
    Yeah... usual habbit of Linux users...

Nothing curious about a 70 year old guy liking his music and video, he upgraded video cards so he can encode video's faster with badaboom. He's retired and likes to tape his grandkids events. The guy also has 3, 5.1 surround sound systems in his house, he likes his music and also spends a lot of time converting his vinyl over to CD.
    Transcoding in Linux is a hard job huh?

I did answer your question. So here it is again. Must be suffering from selective seeing, not to worry though I'm used to situations like that. My wife suffers from selective hearing.
    Yeah I answered to your post at 12:45 and you edited it at 12:47...

I use all OS's equally. They all have their strengths and weak points. Desktop usage is still the weak point of linux as is full featured hardware usage. I'm a geek as well, I like to tweak, I like to code, I like fixing stuff, thus why I use linux. It's more of a hobby os. When it comes to getting serious work done though in area's like cad, multimedia creation, or even professional documentation I will opt to the OS's that are more geared towards that and use OS X or Windows. I can't in all honesty, recommend linux for home usage for the average person. Linux simply breaks on the desktop all to often where the philosophy seems to be as of late break first, fix later without leaving a working alternative during the transition ( *cough*pulseaudio*cough* ).
    Breaks? Well I gave ya few examples of average users who found piece with Linux but you keep argue. As you wish, it seems that the average users I know and convinced to make the transition are just genious...
    Last edited by Apopas; 23 May 2009, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Free? He got his 2k-xp-vista for free? And tell me what programs he uses that they are free? I'm very curious...

BTW... very interesting for a man in his 70s to upgrade video cards and cares for 5.1 sound with proper filtering heh

Also, you didn't answered me deanjo when I asked you in previous post. Why you keep using Linux as well if you find window$, especially vista, so superiour?
    Upgrade editions are certianly cheaper then having to pay for someone to write custom code.

Nothing curious about a 70 year old guy liking his music and video, he upgraded video cards so he can encode video's faster with badaboom. He's retired and likes to tape his grandkids events. The guy also has 3, 5.1 surround sound systems in his house, he likes his music and also spends a lot of time converting his vinyl over to CD.

I did answer your question. So here it is again. Must be suffering from selective seeing, not to worry though I'm used to situations like that. My wife suffers from selective hearing.

I use all OS's equally. They all have their strengths and weak points. Desktop usage is still the weak point of linux as is full featured hardware usage. I'm a geek as well, I like to tweak, I like to code, I like fixing stuff, thus why I use linux. It's more of a hobby os. When it comes to getting serious work done though in area's like cad, multimedia creation, or even professional documentation I will opt to the OS's that are more geared towards that and use OS X or Windows. I can't in all honesty, recommend linux for home usage for the average person. Linux simply breaks on the desktop all to often where the philosophy seems to be as of late break first, fix later without leaving a working alternative during the transition ( *cough*pulseaudio*cough* ).

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Costly? If free is costly then I guess so. Of course if you feel your up to task getting his system going on linux, with applications to do all the above tasks, you only have to PM me and I will gladly give you his phone number
    Free? He got his 2k-xp-vista for free? And tell me what programs he uses that they are free? I'm very curious...

BTW... very interesting for a man in his 70s to upgrade video cards and cares for 5.1 sound with proper filtering heh

Also, you didn't answered me deanjo when I asked you in previous post. Why you keep using Linux as well if you find window$, especially vista, so superiour?
    Last edited by Apopas; 23 May 2009, 07:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by susikala View Post
    By the way, just to leave a general remark on the OS-versus discussion.

Most of the 'Linux sucks, is hard to learn, doesn't work as I want it to, hardly has any games, has a steep learning curve, doesn't run the programmes I need' and so further and so forth come from people who have used Windows before. They have to have got the Windows mentality burnt into their minds to say that (whether that mentality is good or bad is debatable, I consider the 'serve me'-point of view puerile and not showing of extended intelligence; but people'd say I don't cater to average Joe with that).

I happen to have met a few persons who -never- used Windows (usually because their parents were Unix freaks) and therefore accepted Linux as something completely natural. They are your simple, average users, but their view of software is completely different from your typical Windows migrant.

So again, much at fault is the current situation at hand where children are educated into falsities. Linux, so-to-say, begins its life in every person's mind as an outsider, and we know how those are generally treated.
    EXACTLY! Fortunately in schools they teach Linux as well now (here in Greece at least).

Leave a comment:

• susikala
    replied
    By the way, just to leave a general remark on the OS-versus discussion.

Most of the 'Linux sucks, is hard to learn, doesn't work as I want it to, hardly has any games, has a steep learning curve, doesn't run the programmes I need' and so further and so forth come from people who have used Windows before. They have to have got the Windows mentality burnt into their minds to say that (whether that mentality is good or bad is debatable, I consider the 'serve me'-point of view puerile and not showing of extended intelligence; but people'd say I don't cater to average Joe with that).

I happen to have met a few persons who -never- used Windows (usually because their parents were Unix freaks) and therefore accepted Linux as something completely natural. They are your simple, average users, but their view of software is completely different from your typical Windows migrant.

So again, much at fault is the current situation at hand where children are educated into falsities. Linux, so-to-say, begins its life in every person's mind as an outsider, and we know how those are generally treated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X