• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    You know of apps in linux that can handle:
    realtime landscaping
    agexpert analyst for his farm accounting
    quicktax to do his tax returns (Canadian edition)
    plus a whole schwack load of lottery analysis programs, in linux?
    For things like that I use wine or xen. Aren't that difficult.

Ever try doing x264 for multiple devices on a sempron without GPU encoding?
    I transcode a lot, to xvid and x264.It's quick and easy with DVDrip and handbrake. Why without GPU?

You told me I never answered your question 2 hours after I did. It was edited to add on the pulseaudio statement. Everything else is the same.
    2 or 10 doen;t matter. I don't use to go back and read the posts again and agian. I'm sory for the inconvenience.

Gullible to FUD more like it.
    Sorry I don't understand that. No native english speeker here.

Comment

• Originally posted by susikala View Post
      Haha Apopas, look what you did, you made deanjo comment his edits.
      Hahaha as if was bad written code huh? That's Linux a lot of guys will be furious to say

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        For things like that I use wine or xen. Aren't that difficult.
        Wait a minute, xen requires windows and wine is emulation. Are you now conceding that linux does not have all the solutions needed to effectively replace windows? (BTW most of those apps won't run in wine)

I transcode a lot, to xvid and x264.It's quick and easy with DVDrip and handbrake. Why without GPU?
        Handbrake on a sempron is slow as molasses, with a 8800GT it skins it alive in time to encode when compared to a older CPU

2 or 10 doen;t matter. I don't use to go back and read the posts again and agian. I'm sory for the inconvenience.
        That's why you use quotes, to snapshot your reply to's.

Sorry I don't understand that. No native english speeker here.
        FUD = Fear, uncertianty and doubt

Comment

Wait a minute, xen requires windows and wine is emulation. Are you now conceding that linux does not have all the solutions needed to effectively replace windows? (BTW most of those apps won't run in wine)
          Wine, emulation or not doesn't require window$ and its a native GPL Linux application. Also, I have never tried a 2D app that didn't work under recent versions of wine.
          All I have said is that Linux is perfect for the average user. Easy and stable and complete. If the average user needs so much a specific application or every bullshit that the weekly magazines offer and has bought windows after all, then why don't use it under xen (another open source, native Linux application)?
          Is as if you say that you can't play WoW in Linux because it needs Wine to run. So? It runs perfectly and even Blizzard has instructions!

Handbrake on a sempron is slow as molasses, with a 8800GT it skins it alive in time to encode when compared to a older CPU
          Well, what specific problem is that? Linux's fault? Handbrake's or hardware's? I have an old 3000+ Athlon64 with 8500GT and handbrake works like a charm (and dvdrip).

That's why you use quotes, to snapshot your reply to's.
          What quotes have to do if they are posted after the answer?

FUD = Fear, uncertianty and doubt
          They are in fear and doubt? LOL About what?
          That's what characterizes the ones who don't want to make the switch from windows to Linux no the opposite HAHAHAHAHA
          Or you mean that they fear to go back to windows because they will have to deal again with the same old, stupid problems?

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            Wine, emulation or not doesn't require window$ and its a native GPL Linux application. Also, I have never tried a 2D app that didn't work under recent versions of wine.
            All I have said is that Linux is perfect for the average user. Easy and stable and complete. If the average user needs so much a specific application or every bullshit that the weekly magazines offer and has bought windows after all, then why don't use it under xen (another open source, native Linux application)?
            Maybe you should read what xen is before proclaiming it's greatness. Xen requires Windows to run windows apps.

Never had a 2d app run in wine then boy you really haven't tried much now have you. Even then alot of time you require Windows dlls to even get it to function 1/2 assed.

Is as if you say that you can't play WoW in Linux because it needs Wine to run. So? It runs perfectly and even Blizzard has instructions!
            And what about the thousands (read vast majority) of other apps that don't run in wine. Wine works fine in a very very very very limited amount of apps.

Well, what specific problem is that? Linux's fault? Handbrake's or hardware's? I have an old 3000+ Athlon64 with 8500GT and handbrake works like a charm (and dvdrip).
            Handbrake is not GPU accelerated at ALL. All transcoding is done via CPU which is much slower ( read multiple times slower ) then a 8800GT can handle when compare to a sempron.

What quotes have to do if they are posted after the answer?
            So you don't make a fool out of yourself like you did in your reply. Which I might add was still fully answered in the original unedited response.

They are in fear and doubt? LOL About what?
            That's what characterizes the ones who don't want to make the switch from windows to Linux no the opposite HAHAHAHAHA
            Or you mean that they fear to go back to windows because they will have to deal again with the same old, stupid problems?
            No it means promoting a OS through greatly over exagerating the issues of others which alternative OS zealots love to do while convienently ignoring their own OS of choice shortcoming.

Comment

• Beside's some anti-virus apps are just to damn cool for a geek.

Comment

• Every OS has drawbacks. If not then everyone would have switched to the specific one without them. So what really matters are your priorities.
                We agree here, although I'm sure there's people who still wouldn't. The difference is that I refuse to see it all pink when, dammit, it is not.

My bests friends father [...] spent about 1500 Euros (about 2000$) for a TV/Video card. I think was Hauppauge's. He worked it for few months with that still XP came out and didn't support it, unfortunately for him Hauppauge did never make drivers for XP.
                Your turn now... if you want I can give examples till eternity or till you realize that both ways of computers evolution have advantages and disadvantages, both open source and proprietary each for its own reasons.
                But of course. Shit happens either way. What I want you to realize is that having the source open is not, on its own, a guarantee that you will have good, continuous, and timely support for anything. In the same way that you rely on the company who developed the drivers in the first place, you rely on the will of somebody who, for some reason, cares to do the same in the open source world. Me? I want my stuff to work, and to work well. I don't want shit to break just because. And this, unfortunately for my particular piece of hardware, hasn't happened for the last four years, nor with the closed aproach neither with the open one. However, I am of the opinion that had the basic internals of the linux kernel not changed with every release, had it had some standards third party companies could follow, I would not see this continuous breakage.

By the way, and not that it matters much--I told you personal examples are mostly irrelevant--there is a difference between a company deciding not to develop some drivers for an OS and a simple program stopping to work out of the blue.

Maybe you have to try harder then. There are loads. How about serious stuff like WiRE, or OMNIC, or FibreFix (it's rethoric, you can't).

All I have said is that Linux is perfect for the average user. Easy and stable and complete.
                Well, obviously we don't agree on this one. I don't recommend linux to 'the average' user unless they especifically ask for it and I am satisfied that they are aware of what problems and shortcomings it has. One funny thing is that companies like Adobe or Skype, by making their products available for linux, are actually pushing to make the platform useful for some of the most mundane tasks like reading a bloody pdf file or having a voice chat. Yep, closed source. I so hope that others follow suit.

If the average user needs so much a specific application or every bullshit that the weekly magazines offer and has bought windows after all, then why don't use it under xen (another open source, native Linux application)?
                Why, oh, why? Why your average user would want to do that? She was able to run all those applications in the first place, don't you get it? Are you seriously proposing that Jimmy would be better off installing linux, going to this site, finding the appropriate tutorial (there are many) and bothering with Xen hypervisors, to finally installing Windows on top of it? Are you really?

I didn't think I had to say this, but if you really, honestly believe Windows is slow, unstable and infected with virus, seriously, guys, you are doing it WRONG.

Beside's some anti-virus apps are just to damn cool for a geek.

http://www.sophos.com/klingon-anti-virus/
                Hahahh...that's the one we have at work. I'm gonna ask the IT guy to install the translation.
                Last edited by yotambien; 23 May 2009, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Maybe you should read what xen is before proclaiming it's greatness. Xen requires Windows to run windows apps.

Never had a 2d app run in wine then boy you really haven't tried much now have you. Even then alot of time you require Windows dlls to even get it to function 1/2 assed.
                  What?
                  I have tried just the last week an app for taxes that a local magazine gave here.
                  I used wine to play a 2D collectible card game online.
                  I've tried even office2000 in the past just for fun.
                  I've tried firefox with wine just to compare it with the native one.
                  Ages ago also, I used to run QuickTime.

And what about the thousands (read vast majority) of other apps that don't run in wine. Wine works fine in a very very very very limited amount of apps.
                  The average user (for that kind of user we speak all these days here) won't need some extreme application. 99% will be fine with the native Linux ones. If he needs something so bad then some of the windows equivalents will run with wine.

Handbrake is not GPU accelerated at ALL. All transcoding is done via CPU which is much slower ( read multiple times slower ) then a 8800GT can handle when compare to a sempron.
                  As far as I know the encoders themselves (x264, xvid etc) are not GPU accelerated. Anyway, I know that GPU is over ten times faster than CPU when it has to do with such things, but I also read that this dabadum you use, can not use the highest qualities of H264 and uses a tweaked version of x264 that produces some artifacts in the final video. Plus this thing costs over 20 euros. I prefer to eat 4 pizzas with these money...

So you don't make a fool out of yourself like you did in your reply. Which I might add was still fully answered in the original unedited response.
                  When I answered to that post of yours I quoted it and in that quote there was not an answer. You edited it later and then you gave it, no just the pulseaudio. You can keep arguing till the end of your days. That's what I saw. Period!

No it means promoting a OS through greatly over exagerating the issues of others which alternative OS zealots love to do while convienently ignoring their own OS of choice shortcoming.
                  Where did I exaggerate? What issues of windows did I write? Read more carefully than just guess that I did because most of guys do like that.
                  I just said the reason I installed Linux to my cousin's puter at first place and then talked about synaptic and the other things he liked in Linux.
                  Is that exageration?
                  Last edited by Apopas; 23 May 2009, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Beside's some anti-virus apps are just to damn cool for a geek.

http://www.sophos.com/klingon-anti-virus/
                    That's the first time I see someone who is proud for using antivirus...

Comment

• Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                      We agree here, although I'm sure there's people who still wouldn't. The difference is that I refuse to see it all pink when, dammit, it is not.
                      That's exactly what I say. Nothing is perfect.

But of course. Shit happens either way. What I want you to realize is that having the source open is not, on its own, a guarantee that you will have good, continuous, and timely support for anything. In the same way that you rely on the company who developed the drivers in the first place, you rely on the will of somebody who, for some reason, cares to do the same in the open source world. Me? I want my stuff to work, and to work well. I don't want shit to break just because. And this, unfortunately for my particular piece of hardware, hasn't happened for the last four years, nor with the closed aproach neither with the open one. However, I am of the opinion that had the basic internals of the linux kernel not changed with every release, had it had some standards third party companies could follow, I would not see this continuous breakage.
                      And I believe that Linux only in its current form will continue to evolute more than the other systems.

By the way, and not that it matters much--I told you personal examples are mostly irrelevant--there is a difference between a company deciding not to develop some drivers for an OS and a simple program stopping to work out of the blue.
                      I never had experience with a program which suddenly stopped to work.

Maybe you have to try harder then. There are loads. How about serious stuff like WiRE, or OMNIC, or FibreFix (it's rethoric, you can't).
                      Bro, these are applications for experts no for average users. I'm talking about average user here who wants to surf, chat, listen music etc.

Well, obviously we don't agree on this one. I don't recommend linux to 'the average' user unless they especifically ask for it and I am satisfied that they are aware of what problems and shortcomings it has. One funny thing is that companies like Adobe or Skype, by making their products available for linux, are actually pushing to make the platform useful for some of the most mundane tasks like reading a bloody pdf file or having a voice chat. Yep, closed source. I so hope that others follow suit.
                      There are other opensource pdf readers and voice chat programs out there.

Why, oh, why? Why your average user would want to do that? She was able to run all those applications in the first place, don't you get it? Are you seriously proposing that Jimmy would be better off installing linux, going to this site, finding the appropriate tutorial (there are many) and bothering with Xen hypervisors, to finally installing Windows on top of it? Are you really?
                      For the extreme case she wants most of anything else to run a specific application.

I didn't think I had to say this, but if you really, honestly believe Windows is slow, unstable and infected with virus, seriously, guys, you are doing it WRONG.
                      Noone can convince me to change opinion with words, for things I've experienced with my own eyes!

Hahahh...that's the one we have at work. I'm gonna ask the IT guy to install the translation.
                      The second one...

Comment

Working...
                      X