Ubuntu 9.10 Off To A Great Performance Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Well lets put it this way Apopas, my father is now in his 70's. He's by no means a computer geek, but over the years I can count on one hand the number of times he's called me to help fix something and three of those times were because of hardware failure. He's done his own system upgrades, 2k-->xp-->vista, doesn't fear doing updates, all his hardware does work, he can spend his retirement hours surfing, playing photo touch up artist, record his satellite programs, get all his mouse buttons to work, upgrade his video card or printer without worrys, use that digital camera he just upgraded, sync his cell phone, video IM, enjoy his music using 5.1 with proper filtering, if he does have to contact me he can IM and Desktop share because he hears all about these virii, worms, spyware, etc but yet has ever to actually be effected by any, and spend hours on hand analyzing the next set of lotto numbers (some of his lotto apps are still on 5 1/4 and still work). Real life, real situations.
    Bro, you again want to speak with examples. As you wish. I gave real life examples in previous posts, I'll give some more.
    Few weeks ago. My 12 years old cousin. He had WinXP. He never spent many hours in computer, good for him (actually he sit before the monitor just to do something minor for school no more than 5 hours per week) and occasionaly brought me some video files to conver them to 3gp for his mobile phone. One day he called me to say that his puter doesn't start. I thought it was a hardware problem. I went there and saw that window$ complained about ntldr is missing. I asked him to bring me the windows' cd and I'll fix it, but he didn't have one (or he thought so). Anyway I didn't have one ofcourse (never had for the last 7 years) and found the opportunity to get him in my place hehe. I jumped home and brought the new Ubuntu by telling him I'll install him something better.He didn't care, always trusted me.
    When after few minutes Ubuntu logged for first time his reaction was (I swear) "WOW! That's the desktop?". I installed some programs I believed would fit for him, some essentials firefox addons imo and turned on a few light compiz effects.
    Now, he calls me almost every day (doesn't use IM yet) to ask me what program I need to do this? He found extremely comfortable to just type it in synaptic and voila he had it and the funny was that it told to my sister in school, Linux has nice games no just solitaire and bullshits (he likes Nexuiz and Maryo Chronicles). I just saw that all these years he found complex to search via internet, download and install programs, mess with zonealarm and such he neglected his pc.
    Now tell me, what is wrong with this guy? Should I keep him using windows? He finds Linux easy and clean and he loves that his system is in greek (his xp was in english), oh and converts his video on his own now :P
    WHat I can see mate here is that, your father is not a computer geek but knows few things about computers. My cousin, sister, father do not and they find Linux easy and nice, without annoying popups and antivirus software. My sister always keeps in her flashdrive vlc and xvid because she gets videos from her digital camera to her friends and she wants to be sure that their puters will play them... Also, since the day she bought the digital camera she loved to edit pictures and now she is learning Gimp. She's 17 btw!

Real Life , real situations!
    Last edited by Apopas; 23 May 2009, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
      And then again, he can't possibly be using his all-too-superior Windows-based system without having a costly anti-virus / spyware / adware software 24/7 on.

Another segment of the market only existent as a result of Windows' extremely lame design, of course. But I even might hear from you there are viruses on Linux.

Off topic -- sorry to be an ass, but it's 'vira' if you insist on correct Latin. XD
      Costly? If free is costly then I guess so. Of course if you feel your up to task getting his system going on linux, with applications to do all the above tasks, you only have to PM me and I will gladly give you his phone number

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        Bro, you again want to speak with examples. As you wish. I gave real life examples in previous posts, I'll give some more.
        Few weeks ago. My 12 years old cousin. He had WinXP. He never spent many hours in computer, good for him (actually he sit before the monitor just to do something minor for school no more than 5 hours per week) and occasionaly brought me some video files to conver them to 3gp for his mobile phone. One day he called me to say that his puter doesn't start. I thought it was a hardware problem. I went there and saw that window$ complained about ntldr is missing. I asked him to bring me the windows' cd and I'll fix it, but he didn't have one (or he thought so). Anyway I didn't have one ofcourse (never had for the last 7 years) and found the opportunity to get him in my place hehe. I jumped home and brought the new Ubuntu by telling him I'll install him something better.He didn't care, always trusted me.
        When after few minutes Ubuntu logged for first time his reaction was (I swear) "WOW! That's the desktop?". I installed some programs I believed would fit for him, some essentials firefox addons imo and turned on a few light compiz effects.
        Now, he calls me almost every day (doesn't use IM yet) to ask me what program I need to do this? He found extremely comfortable to just type it in synaptic and voila he had it and the funny was that it told to mys sister in school Linux has nice games no just solitaire and bullshits. I just saw that all these years he found complex to search via internet, download and install programs, mess with zonealarm and such he neglected his pc.
        Now tell me, what is wrong with this guy? Should I keep him using windows? He finds Linux easy and clean and he loves that his system is in greek (his xp was in english), oh and converts his video on his own now :P
        WHat I can see mate here is that, your father is not a computer geek but knows few things about computers. My cousin, sister, father do not and they find Linux easy and nice, without annoying popups and antivirus software. My sister always keeps in her flashdrive vlc and xvid because she gets videos from her digital camera to her friends and she wants to be sure that their puters will play them... Also, since the day she bought the digital camera she loved to edit pictures and now she is learning Gimp. She's 17 btw!

Real Life , real situations!
        Same goes for you with the above post. You want to find substitutes of equal capibility I will gladly give you his phone number.

Comment

By the way, just to leave a general remark on the OS-versus discussion.

Most of the 'Linux sucks, is hard to learn, doesn't work as I want it to, hardly has any games, has a steep learning curve, doesn't run the programmes I need' and so further and so forth come from people who have used Windows before. They have to have got the Windows mentality burnt into their minds to say that (whether that mentality is good or bad is debatable, I consider the 'serve me'-point of view puerile and not showing of extended intelligence; but people'd say I don't cater to average Joe with that).

I happen to have met a few persons who -never- used Windows (usually because their parents were Unix freaks) and therefore accepted Linux as something completely natural. They are your simple, average users, but their view of software is completely different from your typical Windows migrant.

So again, much at fault is the current situation at hand where children are educated into falsities. Linux, so-to-say, begins its life in every person's mind as an outsider, and we know how those are generally treated.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
            By the way, just to leave a general remark on the OS-versus discussion.

Most of the 'Linux sucks, is hard to learn, doesn't work as I want it to, hardly has any games, has a steep learning curve, doesn't run the programmes I need' and so further and so forth come from people who have used Windows before. They have to have got the Windows mentality burnt into their minds to say that (whether that mentality is good or bad is debatable, I consider the 'serve me'-point of view puerile and not showing of extended intelligence; but people'd say I don't cater to average Joe with that).

I happen to have met a few persons who -never- used Windows (usually because their parents were Unix freaks) and therefore accepted Linux as something completely natural. They are your simple, average users, but their view of software is completely different from your typical Windows migrant.

So again, much at fault is the current situation at hand where children are educated into falsities. Linux, so-to-say, begins its life in every person's mind as an outsider, and we know how those are generally treated.
            EXACTLY! Fortunately in schools they teach Linux as well now (here in Greece at least).

Comment

Costly? If free is costly then I guess so. Of course if you feel your up to task getting his system going on linux, with applications to do all the above tasks, you only have to PM me and I will gladly give you his phone number
              Free? He got his 2k-xp-vista for free? And tell me what programs he uses that they are free? I'm very curious...

BTW... very interesting for a man in his 70s to upgrade video cards and cares for 5.1 sound with proper filtering heh

Also, you didn't answered me deanjo when I asked you in previous post. Why you keep using Linux as well if you find window$, especially vista, so superiour?
              Last edited by Apopas; 23 May 2009, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Free? He got his 2k-xp-vista for free? And tell me what programs he uses that they are free? I'm very curious...

BTW... very interesting for a man in his 70s to upgrade video cards and cares for 5.1 sound with proper filtering heh

Also, you didn't answered me deanjo when I asked you in previous post. Why you keep using Linux as well if you find window$, especially vista, so superiour?
                Upgrade editions are certianly cheaper then having to pay for someone to write custom code.

Nothing curious about a 70 year old guy liking his music and video, he upgraded video cards so he can encode video's faster with badaboom. He's retired and likes to tape his grandkids events. The guy also has 3, 5.1 surround sound systems in his house, he likes his music and also spends a lot of time converting his vinyl over to CD.

I did answer your question. So here it is again. Must be suffering from selective seeing, not to worry though I'm used to situations like that. My wife suffers from selective hearing.

I use all OS's equally. They all have their strengths and weak points. Desktop usage is still the weak point of linux as is full featured hardware usage. I'm a geek as well, I like to tweak, I like to code, I like fixing stuff, thus why I use linux. It's more of a hobby os. When it comes to getting serious work done though in area's like cad, multimedia creation, or even professional documentation I will opt to the OS's that are more geared towards that and use OS X or Windows. I can't in all honesty, recommend linux for home usage for the average person. Linux simply breaks on the desktop all to often where the philosophy seems to be as of late break first, fix later without leaving a working alternative during the transition ( *cough*pulseaudio*cough* ).

Comment

Upgrade editions are certianly cheaper then having to pay for someone to write custom code.
                  Yeah... usual habbit of Linux users...

Nothing curious about a 70 year old guy liking his music and video, he upgraded video cards so he can encode video's faster with badaboom. He's retired and likes to tape his grandkids events. The guy also has 3, 5.1 surround sound systems in his house, he likes his music and also spends a lot of time converting his vinyl over to CD.
                  Transcoding in Linux is a hard job huh?

I did answer your question. So here it is again. Must be suffering from selective seeing, not to worry though I'm used to situations like that. My wife suffers from selective hearing.
                  Yeah I answered to your post at 12:45 and you edited it at 12:47...

I use all OS's equally. They all have their strengths and weak points. Desktop usage is still the weak point of linux as is full featured hardware usage. I'm a geek as well, I like to tweak, I like to code, I like fixing stuff, thus why I use linux. It's more of a hobby os. When it comes to getting serious work done though in area's like cad, multimedia creation, or even professional documentation I will opt to the OS's that are more geared towards that and use OS X or Windows. I can't in all honesty, recommend linux for home usage for the average person. Linux simply breaks on the desktop all to often where the philosophy seems to be as of late break first, fix later without leaving a working alternative during the transition ( *cough*pulseaudio*cough* ).
                  Breaks? Well I gave ya few examples of average users who found piece with Linux but you keep argue. As you wish, it seems that the average users I know and convinced to make the transition are just genious...
                  Last edited by Apopas; 23 May 2009, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Yeah... usual habbit of Linux users...
                    You know of apps in linux that can handle:
                    realtime landscaping
                    agexpert analyst for his farm accounting
                    quicktax to do his tax returns (Canadian edition)
                    plus a whole schwack load of lottery analysis programs, in linux?

Transcoding in Linux is a hard job huh?
                    Ever try doing x264 for multiple devices on a sempron without GPU encoding?

Yeah I answered to your post at 12:45 and you edited it at 12:47...
                    You told me I never answered your question 2 hours after I did. It was edited to add on the pulseaudio statement. Everything else is the same.

Breaks? Well I gave ya few examples of average users who found piece with Linux but you keep argue. As you wish, it seems that the average users I know and persuaded to make the transition are just genious...
                    Gullible to FUD more like it.
                    Last edited by deanjo; 23 May 2009, 08:13 PM. Reason: Edited to add "in linux" to question

Comment

• Haha Apopas, look what you did, you made deanjo comment his edits.

Comment

Working...
                      X