Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endeavour OS 22.9 "Artemis Nova" Released

Phoronix: Endeavour OS 22.9 "Artemis Nova" Released

Endeavour OS 22.9 "Artemis Nova" is out today as the newest version of this enthusiast-oriented Linux distribution built around Arch Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

while I dont think anyone should use arch based distros that aren't just arch, EOS at least remains the most faithful (IE doesnt do stupid crap like manjaro or reborn) I have had issues with their broadcom wifi drivers that I haven't hard on vanillar arch too. but still far better then garuda or manjaro

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      while I dont think anyone should use arch based distros that aren't just arch, EOS at least remains the most faithful (IE doesnt do stupid crap like manjaro or reborn) I have had issues with their broadcom wifi drivers that I haven't hard on vanillar arch too. but still far better then garuda or manjaro
      Except themes. I cannot stand the themes used by EOS and would have preferred an option to use vanilla themes at install time over 1998 Geocities Purple.

Comment

I like how EndeavourOS has working network and desktop by default, and comes with yay (unlike Arch).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Except themes. I cannot stand the themes used by EOS and would have preferred an option to use vanilla themes at install time over 1998 Geocities Purple.

well nitpics aside it isnt bad.

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
          I like how EndeavourOS has working network and desktop by default, and comes with yay (unlike Arch).
          arch iso has networking too? and if you follow the guide you should have networking setup on install, as for yay, I dont care much for it

Comment

Try CachyOS if you're looking for another "preconfigured Arch" distro.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              I cannot stand the themes used by EOS and would have preferred an option to use vanilla themes
              There's a button on the "welcome" app that lets you restore the vanilla theme

Comment

There's value in both of them, you just need to understand why you use them.

Manjaro, I just finished updating this week. No problems- none of that grub breaking nonsense. And last month, we only had one week or less with the broken glibc. Plasma 5.25 was apparently buggy as well, but Manjaro delaying it meant it had some point releases before it reaches the end user.

Say what you will about everything else that Manjaro does wrong, but having tested it for the last two months, it is pretty much the only Arch system that gets as close to "You don't need to know about your system at all, you don't have to care about update, if you just want access to install stuff from AUR (even if sometimes it's borked while you wait for new Stable update)," then this is the system for you. Basically, this is Arch for people who don't actually want Arch and everything it entails.

Garuda is also pretty decent, if you want its default configuration. There's a lot of good GUI tools they included and nice out of the box experience if you want the experience and the tools they ship. The problem is that they do have a lot of tweaks so sometimes it can play horribly with certain system (like mine) hence why I left it despite how much I liked it.

I've really am finally starting to get past the honeymoon period of Linux after a few years, and what I realize is that just like how I left Windows because I don't want to know anything about it other than that everything just works (and Windows Update as well as a few other things breaking over the years made me fed up with it), I also realize that I want the same thing with Linux (unless I am in the mood to tinker, which I wasn't last month and this month).

I'm looking at alternatives right now, but I'm not sure if AUR via Arch Distrobox is good enough for my preferences but that's what I'll try for now, as I am trying stuff to find what works best for me. Worst case, I'll go back to Manjaro like a tired wife, but I'll wait until the end of October to finalize my choice as a lot of stuff should update by then.

Comment

Originally posted by TuesdayPogo View Post

There's value in both of them, you just need to understand why you use them.
                  There isn't

Manjaro, I just finished updating this week. No problems- none of that grub breaking nonsense. And last month, we only had one week or less with the broken glibc. Plasma 5.25 was apparently buggy as well, but Manjaro delaying it meant it had some point releases before it reaches the end user.
                  and with all the other stuff manjaro breaks? they have taken down the AUR multiple times, they broke grub customizer, then blamed grub customizer, then locked the thread of people trying to fix grub customizer. Dont use the AUR, because half of the packages do't work from it, but the AUR is the largest selling point of manjaro. they even say "we don't support the AUR, but we will add functionality for it in our stupid package manager anyways"

cannot comment on 5.25 cause it wasn't an issue for me. nor anyone I know. and this discounts all the other small things that seems to constantly happen with manjaro, like them pushing incomplete software (A PR that didn't even make it into the repo) without testing. ofc users went to make issue tickets on software for a problem that didn't even make it into the main repo at all. to things like their SSL shenanigans. No. Don't use manjaro. the devs are incompetent.

Say what you will about everything else that Manjaro does wrong, but having tested it for the last two months, it is pretty much the only Arch system that gets as close to "You don't need to know about your system at all, you don't have to care about update, if you just want access to install stuff from AUR (even if sometimes it's borked while you wait for new Stable update)," then this is the system for you. Basically, this is Arch for people who don't actually want Arch and everything it entails.
                  It isn't arch, it's masquerading as arch, people treat it as arch and it bites them in the ass because of the retarded decisions it's devs make. random things break in stupid ways (Like I said, grub customizer) and instead of trying to fix it, manjaro devs and moderators sweep it under the rug.

Garuda is also pretty decent, if you want its default configuration. There's a lot of good GUI tools they included and nice out of the box experience if you want the experience and the tools they ship. The problem is that they do have a lot of tweaks so sometimes it can play horribly with certain system (like mine) hence why I left it despite how much I liked it.
                  except that garuda forces you into specific configurations. don't like them use a different distro. if you fall into a very specific niche within a niche within a niche garuda might be fine.

I've really am finally starting to get past the honeymoon period of Linux after a few years, and what I realize is that just like how I left Windows because I don't want to know anything about it other than that everything just works (and Windows Update as well as a few other things breaking over the years made me fed up with it), I also realize that I want the same thing with Linux (unless I am in the mood to tinker, which I wasn't last month and this month).

I'm looking at alternatives right now, but I'm not sure if AUR via Arch Distrobox is good enough for my preferences but that's what I'll try for now, as I am trying stuff to find what works best for me. Worst case, I'll go back to Manjaro like a tired wife, but I'll wait until the end of October to finalize my choice as a lot of stuff should update by then.
                  If you want a simple distro, use fedora or perhaps nobara, cannot recommend it since I haven't used it however. sounds good though. the answer is almost never an arch derivative.

Comment

If you want a simple distro, use fedora or perhaps nobara, cannot recommend it since I haven't used it however. sounds good though. the answer is almost never an arch derivative.
                    For newbies and people who don't want to learn linux and just need something that "works", then fedora, ubuntu, mint, mx... But IMO endeavour and few other arch distros do a good job at being "simple", even for daily use. Obviously, if something breaks really bad (it happened to me with debian, never in my years of using arch...) you either need to know how to fix it or spend your very precious time asking for help on their forums.

Comment

Working...
                    X