Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian 11.5 Released With NVIDIA Driver Security Fixes, Linux Retbleed Mitigation, Other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATLief View Post

All supported kernel versions are updated every ~2 weeks. Debian updates it about once a month, but you could similarly choose to only install kernel updates once a month on Ubuntu.
    Debian updates packages when they have an actual security problem, that is the process followed for updating the stable distribution. It is not time dependent at all doing busy work to justify a job like Ubuntu does. It is just about weekly in Ubuntu I am on the 47th revision of their kernel at the moment since the testing started late last year, I stand by my weekly observation.

[email protected]:~$ uname -r
    5.15.0-47-generic
    [email protected]:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=22.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=jammy
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS"

Comment

Originally posted by redgreen925 View Post

Debian updates packages when they have an actual security problem, that is the process followed for updating the stable distribution. It is not time dependent at all doing busy work to justify a job like Ubuntu does. It is just about weekly in Ubuntu I am on the 47th revision of their kernel at the moment since the testing started late last year, I stand by my weekly observation.
      I’m not super familiar with how DS works, but I think all non-breaking or behaviour-changing updates are allowed. Security issues can allow DU and DT updates to go immediately into one of the Stable repositories, however.

Comment

I’m not super familiar with how DS works, but I think all non-breaking or behaviour-changing updates are allowed. Security issues can allow DU and DT updates to go immediately into one of the Stable repositories, however.
        I am I have used it for going on twenty years, at least I think it was 2003 Woody came out it being my first time running it, no changes are made to existing packages. If it does not get into the archives before the freeze for a stable release happens it will never be included. Backports the add in repositories are a different and totally unsupported by Debian matter, they can contain changes to the software in them.

Comment

Originally posted by redgreen925 View Post

I am I have used it for going on twenty years, at least I think it was 2003 Woody came out it being my first time running it, no changes are made to existing packages. If it does not get into the archives before the freeze for a stable release happens it will never be included. Backports the add in repositories are a different and totally unsupported by Debian matter, they can contain changes to the software in them.
          If all Stable-Updates are Stable-Security (updates), why have two separate repositories?

Comment

If all Stable-Updates are Stable-Security (updates), why have two separate repositories?
            Major bug fixes found after release and the security apparently goes through there, or did at one time it says depreciated now, according to these pages I found. It is no we want to upload new version of packages so here we go and do it proposition.

https://www.debian.org/releases/proposed-updates
            https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/d...#upload-stable

The source for any procedure in Debian and the relevant policies to follow.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/d.../index.en.html

Comment

Working...
            X