Fedora Linux 37 Beta To Be Released On-Time Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by openminded View Post

Technically you statement is the same quality as mine, no details provided. But I don't care since your sarcasm doesn't change the facts, and the reality is this beta tends to just hang indefinitely when running in Virtualbox, both live mode and installed system, and no other distro I tried recently does the same. I blame Gnome.

This is of course could have been fixed already, I used the iso dated 06/09.
    > Thing doesnt work in Virtualbox
    > Obviously an issue in Thing, not in the buggiest hypervisor on the market

Seems legit to me. Obviously, as well, Fedora's primary target is Virtualbox right?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      Interesting. In the comments it seems like it's stable for everyone but a few people and the few that do complain are told to shut up. If it's so stable for so many people, then why call it a beta? Just call it final then.

It's called a beta, so of course there are going to be people for whom it doesn't work right.
      There is one person in this thread who claimed it was a "steaming pile of ....", with zero details, who it turns out was getting hangs in Virtualbox. And this is a beta.

Given that context, the complaint is a borderline troll. If this was happening to multiple people, or in multiple hypervisors? Maybe there would be some value here. But it sounds like he did absolutely no troubleshooting (try KVM? Or Hyper-V? Or check dmesg?) and hasn't bothered to consider that Virtualbox, itself, is a pile of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by ll1025 View Post

There is one person in this thread who claimed it was a "steaming pile of ....", with zero details, who it turns out was getting hangs in Virtualbox. And this is a beta.

Given that context, the complaint is a borderline troll. If this was happening to multiple people, or in multiple hypervisors? Maybe there would be some value here. But it sounds like he did absolutely no troubleshooting (try KVM? Or Hyper-V? Or check dmesg?) and hasn't bothered to consider that Virtualbox, itself, is a pile of crap.
        Could very well be, but I was referring to the fact that multiple people were so happy with how stable it was. If it's so stable for so many people, then why do even bother calling it a beta?

Comment

All of that aside, I'm really glad I ditched VirtualBox for virt-manager. Best thing I ever did for productivity in VMs, though of course virt-manager isn't as polished.

There are more polished alternatives like GNOME Boxes, but I haven't used any of them so I can't really comment on how good they are.

Comment

began testing F37 and F38 some time in early August. Around the 15th of August, I suddenly began experiencing fuzziness (worse than snowflakes) across all fields of the anaconda display. The fuzziness changed with mouse movement. I did raise a bugzilla report. Even as late as Sept 10th, (my last test), the fuzziness was there. After F37 installation, the onl;y occurrence of this "video noise" `was with the frame around gparted.

To confirm it was not my hardware configuration, I reverted to test installing Fedora 36, Ubuntu 22.04 and OpenSuse`s leap154. They displayed properly .Something changed with wayland around mid=August, and hopefully, when I test the official beta next week, that issue with video noise as reportded in/ Bugzilla can be closed as `resolved

Comment

> Thing doesnt work in Virtualbox
              > Obviously an issue in Thing, not in the buggiest hypervisor on the market

Seems legit to me. Obviously, as well, Fedora's primary target is Virtualbox right?
              Nice pun, but the thing doesn't work right even on bare metal, see the comment right above this one. Same here on AL laptop.
              But you keep joking pls, you're funny.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post

Nice pun, but the thing doesn't work right even on bare metal, see the comment right above this one. Same here on AL laptop.
                But you keep joking pls, you're funny.
                The thread above yours indicates, "the onl;y occurrence of this "video noise" `was with the frame around gparted.", in a pre-beta, and it sounds like an issue with upstream wayland that is mostly resolved at this point.

You seem pretty confused about what the terms "testing", "beta", and "upstream bug" mean. What it doesn't mean is that Fedora is a pile of crap because one guy's gparted UI had some fuzzing in an alpha or you couldn't figure out that Virtualbox is terrible.

Comment

You seem pretty confused
                  Told you what I had seen, and that was fuzzy crap instead of normal image. I am not confused, I see a not working distro on both VM and bare metal, I speak about it.
                  Everything you could say in response was blaming Virtualbox like that's a good excuse and explained something but no, booting this distro on Alder Lake laptop resulted in similar bad experience, so no, I refuse to take your statement as an argument.
                  There's obviously something wrong with the distro (or latest kernels), not just VirtualBox.

Comment

Working...
                  X