Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Linux 37 Beta To Be Released On-Time Next Week

Phoronix: Fedora Linux 37 Beta To Be Released On-Time Next Week

Fedora Linux releases whether they be development/beta snapshots or the stable releases are known for slipping all too often. Fedora will often delay due to blocker bugs as they aim to deliver a bleeding-edge yet reliable Linux distribution and thus a week or two delay here and there isn't uncommon at all. While they have been delivering more timely releases than in the past with their notorious delays, for Fedora Linux 37 Beta they have delivered on the feat of an on-time release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unsurprisingly works like a pile of ... even in VM. Don't install unless you're a tester.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post
      Unsurprisingly works like a pile of ... even in VM. Don't install unless you're a tester.
      Strange, I did a dnf system-upgrade from 36 to 37 last week and it runs like butter on my razer laptop with Intel/Nvidia hybrid graphics.

The only two things that would make me happy would be:
      - Nvidia graphics blobs properly supporting the import EGL thing so my second screen (connected with HDMI through the Nvidia GPU), would run smooth
      - gnome supporting HDR output (great for watching movies when connected to a 4k HDR tv)

Comment

I've been upgrading to fedora beta ever since, and they all worked almost perfectly almost all the time.
        sure there are hiccups, but the average quality of the beta releases for fedora is very high.

Comment

I run Fedora semi-frequently in KVM just for testing my programs, but it always seemed pretty solid to me. I'm surprised they're dropping armv7, but I guess that's pretty old now to be fair.

Does anyone know of any current distro that works on armv5(te)? I was thinking Debian but apparently that stopped with Debian 9, which is now EOL.

Comment

I have been running F37 on a test mule for a few weeks now, and it has worked well for my use cases (one gnome extension I occasionally use does not yet support the latest gnome, but it is not one that is a show stopper for me, and this happens at every gnome bump, so I was not expecting anything different). I am sure there are more serious issues for some.

I hope you are opening bugs (with reproducers) against each issue you find.

Comment

Did anybody else notice the downturn in quality of Fedora's default backgrounds in the last few years?

They used to be gorgeous, but around 32 they started to get... progressively worse, lazier.

I'm not an artist nor an art critic, but then again, this latest one is objectively also very childish, much in the way of the Barbapapa stories and TV series of Annette Tison and Talus Taylor memories.

While I don't care much for my own sake, and that's because I'm basically married to the F11 background, I still wonder how this last one would "not impress much" a lot of people. Especially newcomers... unless, of course, fedora 's re-targeting to a four-year-old user-base... In which case, they'll appreciate it a lot... Anyways, with this new trend, what's in store for f37? Stable-diffusion teletubbies?

There you go! Ready for Fedora 38. Enjoy.
              Senzanome.jpg
              Image generated on crayon/mini dall-e (which is not even stable-diffusion, I know...)
              Last edited by _ReD_; 10 September 2022, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Sure...sure. No specifics given. Poor quality troll. Your post had me curious so I just installed f37 beta (workstation) via KVM. Working fine here. What specifically "works like a pile of..." for you in a VM?

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
                  I'm surprised they're dropping armv7, but I guess that's pretty old now to be fair.
                  In the end, it was a combination of the reality that upstream(s) mostly no longer test their packages on armv7 (resulting in FTBFS's, and no upstream interest to fix those bugs), and that it was becoming increasingly difficult to even build large apps (typically in the linking step) on armv7 with its limited memory availability.

I have a few small armv7 "toaster" devices I have using Fedora for, and will need to decide what to do with them before the EoS date of F36 in the spring of 2023.

Does anyone know of any current distro that works on armv5(te)? I was thinking Debian but apparently that stopped with Debian 9, which is now EOL.
                  I thought the debian armeabiport project still supported armv5te​

Comment

Originally posted by _ReD_ View Post
                    Did anybody else notice the downturn in quality of Fedora's default backgrounds in the last few years?

They used to be gorgeous, but around 32 they started to get... progressively worse. Lazier.

I'm not an artist nor an art critic, but then again, this latest one is objectively also very childish, much in the way of the Barbapapa stories and TV series of Annette Tison and Talus Taylor memories.

While I don't care much for my own sake, and that's because I'm basically married to the F11 background, I still wonder how this last one could "not impress much" a lot of people. Especially newcomers... unless, of course, fedora 's re-targeting to a four-year-old user-base... In which case they'll appreciate it a lot... If it's the case, what's in store for f37? Stable-diffusion teletubbies?

There you go! Ready for Fedora 38. Enjoy.
                    Senzanome.jpg
                    Image generated on crayon/mini dall-e (which is not even stable-diffusion, I know...)
                    LOL. This is all very subjective of course. Sometimes I really dislike their wallpapers at launch but they grow on me.
                    • 36: I actually kind of like this one
                    • 35: No
                    • 34: No, never grew on me
                    • 33: I really disliked this one at first, but ended up liking it over time. It looked nice with the day -> night transitions as a wallpaper on home theater PCs.
                    • 32: 80s vibes but I liked this one
                    • 31: That's just terrible (to me)
                    • 30: Meh
                    • 29: Good
                    • 28: Not bad at all
                    • 27: No
                    • 26: I like this one
                    • A whole bunch of bad all in a row
                    • 11: This one is kind of cool, don't think I've ever seen it before (the version with the lion).
                    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers

Comment

Working...
                    X