No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi OS Updated With Desktop Improvements, NetworkManager, Picamera2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi OS Updated With Desktop Improvements, NetworkManager, Picamera2

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi OS Updated With Desktop Improvements, NetworkManager, Picamera2

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has just announced a new release of their Debian-based Raspberry Pi OS (formerly known as Raspbian) as their reference Linux distribution for running on these low-cost Arm single-board computers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good, NetworkManager is always the first package I setup on a new Pi install.

Comment

But why is NetworkManager not the default choice on Raspberry Pi OS?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
        But why is NetworkManager not the default choice on Raspberry Pi OS?
        The blog post says it's experimental for now and will become default in later versions.

Comment

For desktop usage, Ubuntu is the best choice.

Comment

I have a RPI4-4gb to sell in Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by cardich View Post
              Does Ubuntu on Pi have snaps too? If so I would disagree with your suggestion.

Comment

I bought a PI400. Even overclocked, it is so slow I can't use it. Just typing into mouse pad it doesn't keep up with my typing. And trying to follow the mouse makes me nauseous. I don't know how anyone can use these for a desktop. I just stuck it in the bottom drawer, but I keep wondering why I haven't tossed it in the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by cardich View Post
                  I would argue that ubuntu is never the best choice unless its the only viable choice, in which case its not

Comment

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post
                    I bought a PI400. Even overclocked, it is so slow I can't use it. Just typing into mouse pad it doesn't keep up with my typing. And trying to follow the mouse makes me nauseous. I don't know how anyone can use these for a desktop. I just stuck it in the bottom drawer, but I keep wondering why I haven't tossed it in the trash.
                    That is how "modern software" works.
                    The standard linux DE stack is just too bloated.
                    Some of the DE components are even written in python
                    Even the "light" DEs are slow and bloated. The "light" mostly indicates features.

Performance wise you can turn a normal desktop computer into a RPI by running python
                    So running python on a RPI turns it into ???

Comment

Working...
                    X