Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 39 Looks To Use DNF5 By Default For Better Performance & Improved User Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STiAT
    replied
    I am a bit confused. I thought dnf, especially libdnf already got rid of python in v4.

I personally would appreciate any improvement, I use fedora as my daily driver and I am happy with it, but compared to pacman dnf is painfully slow.

I don't have the insight into package managers as I once did, but as just a user it's appreciated they do work on this.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    will DNF5 use less RAM than DNF4 ?

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
    Seems like a good thing to me. DNF (ans before that, YUM) being extremely slow, especially on HDDs, is one of the things that puts me off using Fedora.
    What you're probably finding slow is the constant checking for updated metadata.

I do hope though that the solver could be faster. The developers of (php) composer copied it as their solver and it used to take up to 2GB of memory. Right now they are down to under 100MB for most transactions. I dont know if that is features that already exist in libsolv (if that is still being used) or not, but using less memory and time there would be a big win.

Leave a comment:

• hamishmb
    replied
    Seems like a good thing to me. DNF (ans before that, YUM) being extremely slow, especially on HDDs, is one of the things that puts me off using Fedora.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    COPR: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...dnf5-unstable/
    GIT: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf5/

Leave a comment:

• Fedora 39 Looks To Use DNF5 By Default For Better Performance & Improved User Experience

Phoronix: Fedora 39 Looks To Use DNF5 By Default For Better Performance & Improved User Experience

With Fedora 39 next spring it will likely replace DNF, libdnf, and dnf-automatic with the new DNF5 packaging tool and libdnf5 support library. DNF5 should improve the user experience and deliver better performance for dealing with software management on Fedora Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X