Ubuntu Talks Up Its GNOME Dynamic Triple Buffering Support In 22.04/22.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by domih View Post
    There are people still using Gnome in 2022 !?
    There are people still using winblows in 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
      When I used GNOME for some time in Arch Linux, I used this patch, and it really helped.
      Are these the gnome-performance and mutter-performance PKGBUILDs from the AUR? Description: "Attempts to improve performances with non-upstreamed merge-requests and frequent stable branch resync"

Built with makepkg.conf CFLAG line containing march=native -O3 -flto these are quite performant indeed.

Gnome simply offers workspace management w/multigesture input support that feels natural and smooth. Gnome extensions with workspace pinning for applications is really clean. Lutris opens in one workspace, Firefox in another, Discord in another. Everything has its place.

(Yes, this is obviously possible with other WMs... but having VMs that I can drag in full-screen from WS to WS, have smooth, near-immediate animations/UI transitions w/no input lag and running smooth at 240Hz? oooooo baby)

The eye candy is delicious
      Last edited by Eirikr1848; 10 September 2022, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

Could you point us at this? It's always bad to have no context on something.
        It seems to be this: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...2#note_1451245. The specific debate was about how to deal with drivers not working ok. I agree however than the order of importance should always be resolution > frequency > color depth.

Comment

Lots and lots of people. Especially people with bad eyesight tend to use lower resolutions.
          You mean setting a lower than the native resolution your display can support because of bad eyesight?
          Btw, aren't screen magnifiers designed specifically for that?

Comment

Originally posted by domih View Post
            There are people still using Gnome in 2022 !?
            There are people still using <insert desktop here> in 2022 !?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

There are people still using winblows in 2022.
              Lol, I read it "winblows" as wobbly windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

Are these the gnome-performance and mutter-performance PKGBUILDs from the AUR? Description: "Attempts to improve performances with non-upstreamed merge-requests and frequent stable branch resync"

Built with makepkg.conf CFLAGS march=native -03 -flto these are quite performant indeed.

Gnome simply offers workspace management w/multigesture input support that feels natural and smooth. Gnome extensions with workspace pinning for applications is really clean. Lutris opens in one workspace, Firefox in another, Discord in another. Everything has its place.

(Yes, this is obviously possible with other WMs... but having VMs that I can drag in full-screen from WS to WS, have smooth, near-immediate animations/UI transitions w/no input lag and running smooth at 240Hz? oooooo baby)

The eye candy is delicious
                No, it was https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/m...amic-buffering that just adds https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1441

PS: Looks like mutter-performance uses more up-to-date patches, anyway.
                Last edited by evasb; 05 September 2022, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

There are people still using <insert desktop here> in 2022 !?
                  People are still *not* using Darwin outside of macOS or still not using Minix in 2022?!

Comment

Lots and lots of people. Especially people with bad eyesight tend to use lower resolutions.

I do not. I increase to font size. I can assure you that Increased image blurriness is perceived even by people with bad eyesight.

Comment

Is the triple buffer jjust helping with desktop animations or is there much more to it?
                      Is it possible to disable animation from gnome preferences GUI or tweak tool?

Comment

Working...
                      X