Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Unity Becoming An Official Flavor With 22.10 Release

Phoronix: Ubuntu Unity Becoming An Official Flavor With 22.10 Release

While it's been years since Canonical dropped Unity as the official desktop environment of Ubuntu, some within the open-source community have still been maintaining it and running an unofficial Ubuntu Unity flavor of the distribution. Now with next month's Ubuntu 22.10 release, Ubuntu Unity will be an official flavor/spin...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For all the flak Unity got (and rightly so in the beginning) it was actually pretty okay towards the end. Far more stable and less buggy than Gnome 3 that replaced it, at least for me.

Note, to put the above statement in context: These days I do not use Ubuntu any more, I use Arch. I also don't use Gnome or Unity any more. I have moved on to KDE (with xfce for a weaker computer, and Cinnamon for a computer with horrendously buggy nvidia stuff that just doesn't work right under anything else).

Comment

Nice, I'm looking forward to any developments on this.

Comment

Cool! I wish the short lived fluxubuntu spin would have stuck around, Fluxbox+Ubuntu. I have it in an old VM and it is beautiful but it died before 12.04 I do believe.

Comment

And they're stuck on legacy X.Org Server, it is better to use standard Ubuntu, the default one which runs on Wayland with GNOME Shell with the Ubuntu dock extension.

Comment

What's the difference between the two? It seems to have the same appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              And they're stuck on legacy X.Org Server, it is better to use standard Ubuntu, the default one which runs on Wayland with GNOME Shell with the Ubuntu dock extension.
              If Unity doesn't run natively on Wayland then that's a huge problem indeed imho.

Comment

As other people have said, Unity was ultimately no worse than the current Gnome desktop. I think the current Ubuntu desktop is one of the ugliest desktops Ubuntu has ever had.

I also regret that Canonical didn't finish Unity 8. This would have become the best and most modern Linux desktop in my opinion, and I've been monitoring the progress closely.

The current problem with Ubuntu is mainly that it is slow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMfqCzbSmQU

It's not just the Snap apps that are slow to launch. My Void Linux with XFCE feels like a McLaren compared to the current Ubuntu in terms of boot times, login, shutdown and UI responsiveness.

It might be helpful for Michael to test which Linux systems boot the fastest again, since he hasn't tested this in a long time, and to compare Ubuntu's boot times with Alpine Linux, Void Linux, MX Linux, and Clear Linux.

If he does the test on an HDD, big revelations will probably happen.​

Comment

When Unity was the official WM it was better then Gnome 3 until Gnome 3 fixed a lot of the initial flaws....but now? IMHO Gnome 40+ became quite nice. The only thing I miss is autotiling why is provided in the cosmic spin off provided by system76.

Haven't seen the current state of Unity TBH compared to the last time i have used it (Unity 8 beta) .

Comment

Originally posted by Classical View Post
                    It might be helpful for Michael to test which Linux systems boot the fastest again, since he hasn't tested this in a long time, and to compare Ubuntu's boot times with Alpine Linux, Void Linux, MX Linux, and Clear Linux.
                    I would postulate the winner: Clear Linux.
                    On my Desktop* its immediately there after the POST screen. Maybe 1sec. On the same pc with PopOS 22.04 and Xanmodkernel 5sec? Gentoo is slightly faster then PopOS but not even close to CL. Maybe inbetween the center of both.

*(AMD 3600XT, NVME: Samsung 980Pro, ASUS X570 WS Pro)
                    Last edited by CochainComplex; 03 September 2022, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X