Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS Released With Hardware Enablement Stack Backported From 22.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

Where is suse's free 1 year developer license for 0.5 computer systems, yeah redhat gives 16 boxes i expect a license for half a system from suse ?
    Leap is supposed to have binary compat with SLES did it ever happen 3 years later ?
    It happened, the latest version of Leap has binary compatibility with SLE.
    As for developer licensing, I guess it's a company policy and every company has their own policy.​

Leave a comment:

• onlyLinuxLuvUBack
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

openSUSE tests the kernel thoroughly before rolling it out on Tumbleweed, though. That's also the reason they haven't pushed the latest point releases yet. The current version is 5.19.2 while upstream is already at 5.19.6. They still haven't finished testing newer point releases and it also took a while before pushing 5.19 in the first place.

And yes, things can break, but Tumbleweed has a rollback system. Sure, that's not the same as stability on an LTS, but that's what Leap is for.

The nice thing about openSUSE is that you have choice. In fact, if Leap feels too outdated for you but you don't want to switch to Tumbleweed, Krypton or Factory, you can install Argon. That way, you have the stable Leap core, but you do get newer versions of e.g. KDE Plasma.

----------

Also, you throw terms around like "you don't get it", but you don't get it either. Tumbleweed is NOT in "continually testing mode". openSUSE Factory and Krypton are in continually testing mode.

(And even with LTS's, stability isn't guaranteed. There's more focus on stability, but it doesn't mean it's 100% stable for everyone.)
    Where is suse's free 1 year developer license for 0.5 computer systems, yeah redhat gives 16 boxes i expect a license for half a system from suse ?
    Leap is supposed to have binary compat with SLES did it ever happen 3 years later ?

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    patrick1946 Good for you. I don't agree. I've used both (container type and package manager type distribution systems). I think containers as currently implemented and often used are a solution to a problem that people largely made up to sell more solutions. The way you stated your issue seems to be more Ubuntu doing something wrong than Fedora Silverblue doing something right strictly because it's using flatpak. If Silverblue were using untested or poorly tested software or software with bad options it's going to have stability problems if it's using RPM or flatpak.

Charlie68 You still don't get it. A newly released kernel is not "stable". It's just minimally tested and the developers are hopeful they've got the most glaring bugs ironed out. There's no guarantee it's fit for any purpose other than it booted up on the developers' computers, appeared to run ok enough for Linus and the few people that tested it for Linus to release it. No one with half a brain is going to trust that with anything critical, and really shouldn't trust it with any computer they depend on everyday to get work done, either, critical or not, unless their job is to test those new software releases for breakage.

Tumbleweed and any other rolling release distros are a continually testing mode. Things break. Sometimes catastrophically so. It doesn't break enough to annoy you. Great! More power to you. But don't for a minute think that your little desktop experience is what anyone else is going to experience using Tumbleweed nor is everyone going to be as willing to take the same chances with their data or hardware.
    It is stable what the software developers decide is stable, stable does not mean bug-free, but it means that the development of that version is finished, the beta phase is finished and the software is ready to be used in production.
    You, on the other hand, refer to possible bugs, which have nothing to do with the stability of a software.
    For the rest I can only say that I have encountered bugs in Tumbleweed but also in Ubuntu, for example I started using Tumbleweed when the Ubuntu graphics stack (it seems to me it was 14.04), was broken on my notebook (Intel). So as you can see, using old software doesn't necessarily mean fewer and fewer bugs.
    A bug in a rolling release can cause discomfort, but momentary and an alternative is usually found immediately, in the case of the kernel, you can use the previous kernel momentarily, but the fixes come quickly, if you have a bug on a fix release it is likely which will never be fixed or it will take months before the fix arrives.​

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    patrick1946
    Tumbleweed and any other rolling release distros are a continually testing mode. Things break. Sometimes catastrophically so. It doesn't break enough to annoy you. Great! More power to you. But don't for a minute think that your little desktop experience is what anyone else is going to experience using Tumbleweed nor is everyone going to be as willing to take the same chances with their data or hardware.
    openSUSE tests the kernel thoroughly before rolling it out on Tumbleweed, though. That's also the reason they haven't pushed the latest point releases yet. The current version is 5.19.2 while upstream is already at 5.19.6. They still haven't finished testing newer point releases and it also took a while before pushing 5.19 in the first place.

And yes, things can break, but Tumbleweed has a rollback system. Sure, that's not the same as stability on an LTS, but that's what Leap is for.

The nice thing about openSUSE is that you have choice. In fact, if Leap feels too outdated for you but you don't want to switch to Tumbleweed, Krypton or Factory, you can install Argon. That way, you have the stable Leap core, but you do get newer versions of e.g. KDE Plasma.

----------

Also, you throw terms around like "you don't get it", but you don't get it either. Tumbleweed is NOT in "continually testing mode". openSUSE Factory and Krypton are in continually testing mode.

(And even with LTS's, stability isn't guaranteed. There's more focus on stability, but it doesn't mean it's 100% stable for everyone.)
    Last edited by Vistaus; 02 September 2022, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• patrick1946
    replied
    patrick1946 Good for you. I don't agree. I've used both (container type and package manager type distribution systems). I think containers as currently implemented and often used are a solution to a problem that people largely made up to sell more solutions. The way you stated your issue seems to be more Ubuntu doing something wrong than Fedora Silverblue doing something right strictly because it's using flatpak. If Silverblue were using untested or poorly tested software or software with bad options it's going to have stability problems if it's using RPM or flatpak.
    It is a solution for unwanted dependencies. As a user I want a up-to-date system. I like to rollback if something goes wrong.

As a developer I like to update my development system as it fits. So I develop in a toolbox and update whrn I want.

As a developer I want to ship a tested application. Distributions never really test most applications. The use arbitrary library versions or even patch the code. With flatpak I can deliver my tested application. There are still variations like graphics drivers but it is already much better.

People often think that ABI is guaranty behavior too but believe me it's not. So it's important to link to the same library version you tested the software.

Leave a comment:

• devilz
    replied
    Mesa 22.x did not make it into the HWE, the image ships Mesa 21.2.6, To get Mesa 22.x, you need to use this PPA.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
    Michael

Grammar

"Yesterday there was last-minute rebuilds​".

Either "Yesterday there was a last-minute rebuild​" (singular rebuild) or "Yesterday there were last-minute rebuilds​" (multiple rebuilds).
    Yep fixed, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied

Charlie68 You still don't get it. A newly released kernel is not "stable". It's just minimally tested and the developers are hopeful they've got the most glaring bugs ironed out. There's no guarantee it's fit for any purpose other than it booted up on the developers' computers, appeared to run ok enough for Linus and the few people that tested it for Linus to release it. No one with half a brain is going to trust that with anything critical, and really shouldn't trust it with any computer they depend on everyday to get work done, either, critical or not, unless their job is to test those new software releases for breakage.

Last edited by stormcrow; 01 September 2022, 05:21 PM. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
    But the 5.19 kernel is stable, it's not a development version huh!
    Which then you prefer an ancient kernel, is another matter.​
    Quit while you're behind. Learn the meaning of terms like 'backport' and 'LTS'. Understand that your case does not apply to everyone. Understand that the 5.15.x kernel is still actively supported by the kernel devs themselves: https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

Leave a comment:

• patrick1946
    replied

And a lot more likely to break, too. Anyone on an LTS doesn't want the bleeding edge kernel. They want the stable kernels that support their hardware and least likely to break what they already have installed. It's not rocket science.
    I want a working system for my new laptop and with Fedora Silverblue I finally found it. It is much more stable than my Ubuntu ever was and I still enjoy support for my new hardware. I really think container based systems like Silverblue are the future.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X