Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archinstall 2.5-rc1 For Easily Installing Arch Linux

Phoronix: Archinstall 2.5-rc1 For Easily Installing Arch Linux

A new release of Archinstall, an easy-to-use, text-based Arch Linux installer, is on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm bound to a cellular connection with no other option other than satellite. When my connection's 'phat', having a parallel option would be a boon for my situation. Rather than have the connection go stale all the time, having to resume broken downloads, and leaving open connections on the server (resume feature in the installer's downloader?) I could theoretically saturate my connection on the time it works, saving everybody issues.
    Hi

Comment

For me the biggest weakness of Archinstall is the difficulty to identify the disks present on my system (5 in all with at least 9 different partitions) and to isolate the one where I want to install Arch.

The main concern once Arch is installed is the absence of a software manager in graphic format such as Synaptic.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post
        For me the biggest weakness of Archinstall is the difficulty to identify the disks present on my system (5 in all with at least 9 different partitions) and to isolate the one where I want to install Arch.

The main concern once Arch is installed is the absence of a software manager in graphic format such as Synaptic.

Regards.
        Wouldn't this work? https://archlinux.org/packages/extra...agekit-plugin/

That should make the Arch repositories available in Gnome Software.​

Comment

Originally posted by iruoy View Post

No. Please don't ever, ever suggest GNOME Software again. You can't even install ZSH from it. If all you want to do is install GIMP, manage Flats, or take blind updates, GNOME Software is OK.

I suggest Pamac from the AUR. That's Manjaro's package manager.

Comment

The joke's on me. The one setup I want is the one setup that Archinstall doesn't support. A ZFS Root.

Comment

Originally posted by iruoy View Post

Packagkit is broken on Arch by design. Arch doesnt split packages, so packagekit might uninstall your whole system if you just manage to uninstall the right software. Of course without any hint. There is no good replacement for pacman. No pamac is also not.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

Packagkit is broken on Arch by design. Arch doesnt split packages, so packagekit might uninstall your whole system if you just manage to uninstall the right software. Of course without any hint. There is no good replacement for pacman. No pamac is also not.
                Thanks. Did not know packagekit was broken on Arch. I have used Arch for years with just pacman (and the AUR via yay). This looked like a nice basic GUI option.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

I forgot that uninstall part. When you don't use something you forget the negatives.

I agree and the 1-2-3 of Yakuake, Pacman, and Makepkg is what I prefer, but that's not what was being asked. Do you have a better suggestion for a graphical package manager on Arch?

IMHO, for all intensive porpoises, Pamac is the best one...granted that, like you, I prefer a terminal-based style so Pamac is the only one I've used in the past two years.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    The joke's on me. The one setup I want is the one setup that Archinstall doesn't support. A ZFS Root.
                    Probably never going to happen as long as ZFS isn't in the official Arch repos.

Comment

Working...
                    X