No announcement yet.

OpenSUSE Developers Continue Discussing x86_64 Microarchitecture Feature Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Developers Continue Discussing x86_64 Microarchitecture Feature Levels

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Developers Continue Discussing x86_64 Microarchitecture Feature Levels

Ahead of the upcoming openSUSE/SUSE Adaptable Linux Platform (ALP), whether to raise the x86_64 micro-architecture feature level required by the Linux OS continues to be evaluated and what options there are for making use of newer x86_64 instruction set extensions without necessarily forcing tightened CPU requirements / eliminating old hardware support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I definitely agree with SSE 4.2, I think it's a bit early perhaps for AVX requirements and maybe make the cut off for AVX for the release after.

Thoughts please folks ?

Comment

I think the main obstacle for distro maintainers to default to x86_64_v3 is that Pentium and Celeron CPUs don't support AVX2 until recently.

Comment

I think there needs to be a v2.5 -- v2 with avx or v3 without avx2. The compromise level.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
          I think the main obstacle for distro maintainers to default to x86_64_v3 is that Pentium and Celeron CPUs don't support AVX2 until recently.
          That's basically it. Every time this discussion comes up it always boils down to "so what about those Intels?" and we begrudgingly all come to the consensus that v2 is the best in regards to an optimized compromise.

Comment

It seems kind of strange not to use the same feature level as SUSE when they just went through all that effort to use the same binary packages as SUSE in 15.3.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Raising the x86_64 micro-architecture feature level is generally a way to go, yet with aware. SSE3 age CPU is the most safe common ground today. Such a decisions should be made strongly on global hardware surveys data.

Here is an example:

SSE2 - 100.00%
              SSE3 - 100.00%
              LAHF / SAHF - 100.00%
              CMPXCHG16B - 99.99%

99.99% to 100% coverage is high enough to make use the feature. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                I definitely agree with SSE 4.2, I think it's a bit early perhaps for AVX requirements and maybe make the cut off for AVX for the release after.

Thoughts please folks ?
                Jasper & Elkhart Lake still don't support AVX. Therefore, requiring v3 shuts out a lot of chromebook, embedded, and even NUC/mini-desktop users.

Maybe not a deal-breaker for SuSE Enterprise, but I hope OpenSUSE definitely doesn't start requiring v3!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I think there needs to be a v2.5 -- v2 with avx or v3 without avx2. The compromise level.
                  Requiring AVX, but not AVX2, would only get you Sandybridge + Ivy Bridge. However, it would still be a deal-breaker for the bottom-tier Atom-derived CPUs.

I was originally annoyed to see the cut for v3 make at AVX2, but I've come to accept it as a sensible point to draw the line. Especially if you plot them in time:

v1 - 2005
                  v2 - 2009
                  v3 - 2013

There's a nice 4-year spacing between the first 3. Even v4 uses features introduced in 2017, but only to Intel's server & HEDT platforms. Rocket Lake brought them to the mainstream desktop, but then Alder Lake snatched them away.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Jasper & Elkhart Lake still don't support AVX. Therefore, requiring v3 shuts out a lot of chromebook, embedded, and even NUC/mini-desktop users.

Maybe not a deal-breaker for SuSE Enterprise, but I hope OpenSUSE definitely doesn't start requiring v3!
                    The feature level debates are just one of a million reasons that distros need some instrumentation to make better product decisions. What percentage of current Leap users are on systems that don't support AVX? Is it 2% and you could just tell them to go use i686 Tumbleweed if they want to stay in the family? Is it 20%? Hell, what's the total population of Leap users? I get the whole "but muh freedoms!!!" thing and why there will never be useful telemetry, but it's really hard to build and refine a great product when you have no damn clue how it is consumed, tweaked, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X