Ubuntu Linux Preparing systemd-hwe To Ease OEM Hardware Enablement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Linux Preparing systemd-hwe To Ease OEM Hardware Enablement

Phoronix: Ubuntu Linux Preparing systemd-hwe To Ease OEM Hardware Enablement

Being prepared for Ubuntu 22.10 and presumably will be back-ported in future Ubuntu 22.04 LTS point releases is the systemd-hwe package to more easily deal with updated hardware rules as part of new device enablement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And not merged upstream? What happens with systemd collaboration efforts? Canonical has great relationship with Microsoft, it shouldn't be so difficult to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      And not merged upstream? What happens with systemd collaboration efforts? Canonical has great relationship with Microsoft, it shouldn't be so difficult to achieve.
      It doesn't make sense to merge it upstream (and would likely be refused) since this package contains UDEV rules for specific OEM hardware suppoerted by Canonical as part of commercial agreements.

Comment

A step forward, but I'd rather want to see more up-to-date systemd versions when releasing a distro. v249 in 22.04 - what a shame...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

It doesn't make sense to merge it upstream (and would likely be refused) since this package contains UDEV rules for specific OEM hardware suppoerted by Canonical as part of commercial agreements.
          Would be nice to get support for such hardware on other distros too though.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            And Canonical also has a great relationship with NDA's.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

Would be nice to get support for such hardware on other distros too though.
              Other distros which don't ship obsolete versions of systemd don't have this problem.

Comment

Doesn't Ubuntu LTS update patch releases of software? Did it ever? PHP was stuck at 8.1.3, to my disappointment. I understand not pushing e.g. 8.2.0, but patch releases are supposed to only fix bugs and improve stability. Well, one doesn't simply assume semver...

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post
                  Doesn't Ubuntu LTS update patch releases of software? Did it ever? PHP was stuck at 8.1.3, to my disappointment. I understand not pushing e.g. 8.2.0, but patch releases are supposed to only fix bugs and improve stability. Well, one doesn't simply assume semver...
                  Depends a lot on the software, but it generally varies between "no" and (esp. for packages that have no component in main or restricted) "not a chance in heck". What Ubuntu (and Debian) do is either backport what they consider a sufficiently serious fix (by and large security fixes), or jump to the latest patch version within the series that shipped in the LTS release while fudging the version in the .deb package (the one example I know of this is apache2 on both distributions).

Ironically, there are quite a few packages that are upgraded wholesale to new minor/major versions: -backports repositories in both Debian and Ubuntu, HWE kernels/mesa in Ubuntu straight on the main archive (Debian has newer kernels available in -backports), and Propietary NVIDIA drivers in Ubuntu, straight in the normal restricted archive.

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post
                    Doesn't Ubuntu LTS update patch releases of software?
                    Yes, but.... and the but is that they tend to (back)port only critical fixes, or important fixes that their (paying) customers have explicitly requested. This is essentially no different than any other enterprise distro, as stability, even with known issues, is more important to that customer base than the latest/greatest.

Comment

Working...
                    X