Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
    Snap & Flatpak will be the future of all major distros. Red Hat, SUSE, Ubuntu. If you don't like containerised apps, you can still use Debian.
    It's a good idea, but you know that I haven't touched Ubuntu for more than 7 years, I just upgraded it, and even a year ago, when I changed my laptop without reinstalling Ubuntu, I have the same Ubuntu just by changing the hard drive.
    How to install Debian when I don't bother to install different kits and sdk .

Comment

People keep complaining snaps about snaps being slow. So many people here claim to build their own kernel. Snaps are slows because they use compression to save space and kernels in usual distros have single-threaded decompression. Firefox snap in Fedora had comparable times to native Firefox because it uses the multi-threaded per CPU flag for squashfs. Since I set that flag in my compiled xanmod kernel, I have no complaints against snaps.
      Last edited by vb_linux; 11 August 2022, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Well, I don't actually get it...Like, are y'all aware that there is a thing called Linux Mint that is basically Ubuntu without Snaps? Why TF aren't y'all using that?
        There is also a thing called apt remove snapd and blacklisting it from being installed again, works perfectly. My only complaint is the garbage torrents they are supposedly seeding. It tells me I will get the mate desktop in a week or so downloading at a whopping 4.2KiB/s same for all them I have downloading. I gave up on a few of them downloaded via web page then uploaded to a seedbox in Europe and put them on mine at home. Useless GD things will not connect to a single leecher on either what totally useless torrents they are.

Comment

Would it be too much to ask to have one Ubuntu comment section a month where everyone would STFU with how much they hate Snaps? We get it. For whatever reason y'all like Ubuntu but hate everything they do. Well, I don't actually get it...Like, are y'all aware that there is a thing called Linux Mint that is basically Ubuntu without Snaps? Why TF aren't y'all using that?
          Why is Mint still in-existence and even suggested? Years ago I've heard about their packaging and dependencies being a mess (mixing their own, Debian, and Ubuntu packages), and they had Wine broken for months related to that. As far as I know the only advantage was Cinnamon, and Ubuntu has had that in a spin for a while: https://ubuntucinnamon.org/

Someone sell me on Mint; why would I use it today over Ubuntu, any of its remixes, or Debian?

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
          Snaps are not for the server. There everyone uses docker, thankfully. BTW redhat hates docker and has tried with multiple strategies to undermine it but is forced to support it because of its popularity.
          Docker is overly complex for what I do on a server, and judging the issues I've heard others ran into with it, it seems to add its own problematic complexity layer. Snaps aren't anywhere near as-complex (to deploy; someone else can handle the packaging ), although nothing I use provides them, Flatpak, or AppImage.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            My only issue with Snap in personal use was that Firefox started up slower than I cared for on cold starts; this was before they recently fixed it.
            I dunno, it's quicker than it was but still slow as cold molasses on systems it should fly on... and basically unusable on an SBC.

Why is Mint still in-existence and even suggested? Years ago I've heard about their packaging and dependencies being a mess (mixing their own, Debian, and Ubuntu packages), and they had Wine broken for months related to that. As far as I know the only advantage was Cinnamon, and Ubuntu has had that in a spin for a while: https://ubuntucinnamon.org/

Someone sell me on Mint; why would I use it today over Ubuntu, any of its remixes, or Debian?
            Won't try to sell you on it, but I will explain why I usually choose it. Ubuntu Cinnamon still uses snaps... for the anti-snappers out there, it's rather defeating the object. And yes, years ago Mint had a few problems regarding several things (the one that sticks out in my mind the most was the ISO debacle) but for me, Mint (with Cinnamon) is the distro which I have to spent least time adjusting to fit me, and how I work. Sure, there are a few quality of life tweaks I make (zsh, conky, ssh server, fail2ban... turning on the firewall! - I struggle to understand why they don't enable it by default but that can be leveled at many distros, so...) but once Mint is installed it's very close to set up. Mint MATE requires only a few minutes longer.

I'm not a great fan of flatpaks either (because of poor experiences with the Octave flatpak, which I've detailed in the past) and to be honest if I had more hours in the day I'd probably switch to a source distro and have done with it.

As for why Mint still exists; people like it, people and companies fund it; see the sponsor lists. So they must be doing something right. They've even had the foresight to actively develop a version which is not dependent on Ubuntu, just in case Canonical Ltd. starts to falter. Linux Mint Debian Edition is worth checking out if you like Debian-based distros, but it's a little less polished than the Ubuntu-based Mint.

Comment

Anything on systemd-oomd yet? Ubuntu as of late has been weird with their polish -- weird small issues that escapes testing, making what should be just another release into a long journey to get everything polished.

Comment

Originally posted by TuesdayPogo View Post
                Anything on systemd-oomd yet? Ubuntu as of late has been weird with their polish -- weird small issues that escapes testing, making what should be just another release into a long journey to get everything polished.
                they have DLC updates even during installer what could go wrong ?

Comment

I'm not that keen on Ubuntu forks these days so, in regards to Mint, I just picked a popular Ubuntu-based distribution without Snaps that I know about. Someone else will have to sell you on it.

Comment

Originally posted by redgreen925 View Post

There is also a thing called apt remove snapd and blacklisting it from being installed again, works perfectly. My only complaint is the garbage torrents they are supposedly seeding. It tells me I will get the mate desktop in a week or so downloading at a whopping 4.2KiB/s same for all them I have downloading. I gave up on a few of them downloaded via web page then uploaded to a seedbox in Europe and put them on mine at home. Useless GD things will not connect to a single leecher on either what totally useless torrents they are.
                    That makes me wonder how many people have crappy ISPs like me where you get horribly throttled when they detect bit torrent in use? It's a very common practice over here in the States. Land of the Free...my ass. I can't eve use torrents thanks to government regulations. I'm gonna stop before I go on a rant.

Comment

That makes me wonder how many people have crappy ISPs like me where you get horribly throttled when they detect bit torrent in use? It's a very common practice over here in the States. Land of the Free...my ass. I can't eve use torrents thanks to government regulations. I'm gonna stop before I go on a rant.
                      Entirely possible they could only be throttling Ubuntu as any other torrent works fine to seed but I doubt it. And it certainly is not being throttled on my dedicated seedbox sitting in Europe somewhere. Not one single bit of upload from any of those torrents. A rock solid 4.2KiB/s of download some I see a 12 on from time to time. One day in and I had 10% of a 1.??GiB torrent downloaded, the ones I downloaded by http and rsync'd to the seedbox never gave back a single bit. The 50+ other linux .iso torrents on that box seed away like they always have for example linuxmint-21-cinnamon-64bit.iso just popped up seeding at 462KiB/s while writing this. The original 22.04 files on there all had 1TiB plus of upload on them for the popular ones, these are garbage as I said and are no longer on the boxes, I will not waste the space on junk files that do not seed.

Edit: and now I look again some people want the xfce version of the mint they are getting it at 1.3MiB/s as I write, so that box is not throttled at all..
                      Last edited by redgreen925; 12 August 2022, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X