Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS Released

Following a one week delay due to a last minute blocker bug being discovered, Canonical today has shipped Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS as the first point release to this current long-term support series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did they drop Snaps already or they want to be stubborn and wait again for 10 years until they do that?

Comment

I would say that it would be idiotic if they ever dared to even consider dropping snaps - imo it would be better to close shop all together. But given their past track record of throwing out their crown jewels you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Did they drop Snaps already or they want to be stubborn and wait again for 10 years until they do that?
        Given that this is a maintenance update to a distribution with 10 years of commercial support, only the latter makes any sense at all, no matter how much we may dislike snaps.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
          I would say that it would be idiotic if they ever dared to even consider dropping snaps - imo it would be better to close shop all together. But given their past track record of throwing out their crown jewels you never know.
          My personal advice to Canonical is to keep Snap for server/enterprise/iot, since it supposedly works better for these workloads and Canonical needs it. For desktop users drop Snap and embrace Flatpak instead. I mean it would be a win-win situation because desktop users will be happy and it shouldn't really cost Canonical anything.

Comment

Would it be possible to have one Ubuntu article where you don't get triggered or is that too much to ask?

Comment

Dear Canonical, please see this:
              I hate snap
              We hate snap
              I also hate Flatpak
              I actually hate the sandbox environment.
              Please keep it for server only, yes it provides security on desktop but it also creates countless disadvantages.

Comment

I remember when I installed the versione 22.04 on the pc of one of my friends: less time to install it, much much much much more time to clean it up .

Comment

Would it be too much to ask to have one Ubuntu comment section a month where everyone would STFU with how much they hate Snaps? We get it. For whatever reason y'all like Ubuntu but hate everything they do. Well, I don't actually get it...Like, are y'all aware that there is a thing called Linux Mint that is basically Ubuntu without Snaps? Why TF aren't y'all using that?

Rhetorically: What's up with all these people using distributions that do things in a different manner than what they'd like and then complaining about all the stuff they have to do to fix it to make it their own? Why won't they take a trip down distribution lane and find something that's more in line with their needs? And if they're not using Ubuntu, why all the hubris about something they're not even using?

Comment

The development activity of snapd is much higher than that of flatpak. Flatpak still hasn't managed to provide proper permissions management. I doubt Canonical will stop developing snapd.

snapd changelogs:

flatpak changelogs:
                    Linux application sandboxing and distribution framework - flatpak/flatpak

Comment

Working...
                    X