• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ubuntulove74 View Post
    Dear Canonical, please see this:
    I hate snap
    We hate snap
    I also hate Flatpak
    I actually hate the sandbox environment.
    Please keep it for server only, yes it provides security on desktop but it also creates countless disadvantages.
    Snap & Flatpak will be the future of all major distros. Red Hat, SUSE, Ubuntu. If you don't like containerised apps, you can still use Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Would it be too much to ask to have one Ubuntu comment section a month where everyone would STFU with how much they hate Snaps? We get it. For whatever reason y'all like Ubuntu but hate everything they do. Well, I don't actually get it...Like, are y'all aware that there is a thing called Linux Mint that is basically Ubuntu without Snaps? Why TF aren't y'all using that?

Rhetorically: What's up with all these people using distributions that do things in a different manner than what they'd like and then complaining about all the stuff they have to do to fix it to make it their own? Why won't they take a trip down distribution lane and find something that's more in line with their needs? And if they're not using Ubuntu, why all the hubris about something they're not even using?
      I think the reason is ...but its fun .

Some things are simpliy triggering emotions. NVidia, Wayland, systemd, ....

Comment

What about Canonical thought about going to NASDAQ and their some financial stats about support for Desktop? the Child was born or something went wrong(as usual in Desktop Market Share like in Browser Market Share or like in npmjs $$$ Market Share)

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
          The development activity of snapd is much higher than that of flatpak. Flatpak still hasn't managed to provide proper permissions management. I doubt Canonical will stop developing snapd.

snapd changelogs:

flatpak changelogs:
          https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/blob/main/NEWS
          This is a straight forward comparison because Flatpak isn't a single repo (you will have to add others like https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak-builder and https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak-builder-tools etc to get it a closer comparison) and generally is in a more mature stage while Snap is going through a lot more changes amounting to a rewrite (https://ubuntu.com//blog/the-future-of-snapcraft) to try to address performance issues. Flatpak permissions btw are managed via https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal which is also currently used by Snap as well. https://flathub.org/apps/details/com...chx84.Flatseal is a UI for this.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I think the reason is ...but its fun .

Some things are simpliy triggering emotions. NVidia, Wayland, systemd, ....
            That's because everytime a Linux user reads the world linux he becomes a "yes man".

Comment

Would it be too much to ask to have one Ubuntu comment section a month where everyone would STFU with how much they hate Snaps? We get it. For whatever reason y'all like Ubuntu but hate everything they do. Well, I don't actually get it...Like, are y'all aware that there is a thing called Linux Mint that is basically Ubuntu without Snaps? Why TF aren't y'all using that?

Rhetorically: What's up with all these people using distributions that do things in a different manner than what they'd like and then complaining about all the stuff they have to do to fix it to make it their own? Why won't they take a trip down distribution lane and find something that's more in line with their needs? And if they're not using Ubuntu, why all the hubris about something they're not even using?
              Just like with the (excessive period of) masks and Covid - people being angry about it won't end until the stupid decision is in place that bothers way too many people. If you really want people to chill pass everyone that indica blunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Did they drop Snaps already or they want to be stubborn and wait again for 10 years until they do that?
                Exactly the kind of post I expected to see, and first at that

...Rhetorically: What's up with all these people using distributions that do things in a different manner than what they'd like and then complaining about all the stuff they have to do to fix it to make it their own? Why won't they take a trip down distribution lane and find something that's more in line with their needs? And if they're not using Ubuntu, why all the hubris about something they're not even using?
                It drives discussion, page refreshes, and more ad revenue Along with feeding the usual social media toxic behavior loop.

My only issue with Snap in personal use was that Firefox started up slower than I cared for on cold starts; this was before they recently fixed it.

Comment

Would it be too much to ask to have one Ubuntu comment section a month where everyone would STFU with how much they hate Snaps?
                  Apparently not.

We get it. For whatever reason y'all like Ubuntu but hate everything they do. Well, I don't actually get it...Like, are y'all aware that there is a thing called Linux Mint that is basically Ubuntu without Snaps? Why TF aren't y'all using that?
                  For me Mint is off the table until they fix native Wayland support for Cinnamon. Other distrod like Pop!_OS seems quite promising though.

For me Ubuntu is almost the way I want it out of the box, and the tweaks I need to do are decreasing every year. It is still getting better but every three steps forward is simultaneously one step backwards.

Ubuntu keeps shooting itself in the foot, Unity was a decent desktop but plagued by lack of Gnome integration, Mir was an interesting Wayland alternative that ultimately turned out to be pointless, and Snaps are shaping up to be a pointless Flatpak alternative. Is there anything Snaps can do that Flatpaks cannot, that isn't a gimmick?
                  ​​​​​​
                  Ubuntu is currently the only company backed desktop distro with proper LTS support. Fedora is not LTS and everything else is pretty much dedicated towards the server market with Desktop as an afterthought (like RHEL). Pop! might make a difference in a few years time though. That is why many are pissed at Ubuntu right now.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
                    Is there anything Snaps can do that Flatpaks cannot, that isn't a gimmick?
                    Snaps apparently have some enterprise / iot features that Flatpaks lack. It also seems like it was developed for enterprise / iot first, by enterprise focused developers, hence the reason it works so bad for desktop apps. That's why I said Canonical should ditch Snap for desktop and embrace Flatpak.

Comment

Snaps are not for the server. There everyone uses docker, thankfully. BTW redhat hates docker and has tried with multiple strategies to undermine it but is forced to support it because of its popularity.

Snaps could have a use in the enterprise, if desktop Linux was a thing, which is not. There 99% use windows because of Active Directory which is THE killer application for the enterprise and to my knowledge nobody in the free & open source camp cares to challenge. Plus normal people doing actual work on their computer usually posses common sense and wouldn't touch Gnome with a 10 foot pole.

Canonical has no chance IMO against Microsoft . But they had against Apple. Unity was a unique offering that worked surprisingly well and on top targeted directly the young end user. Had they perservered a decade they would have created their own ecosystem which would pay dividends for long time after. Sad.
                      Last edited by zoomblab; 11 August 2022, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X