Microsoft Continues Improving Its Internal Linux Distro With Another Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Continues Improving Its Internal Linux Distro With Another Update

Phoronix: Microsoft Continues Improving Its Internal Linux Distro With Another Update

It was just over a year ago Microsoft lifted the lid further on CBL-Mariner as its internal Linux distribution used for a variety of purposes at the company from running within their Azure cloud environment to also finding use by WSL, and various other use-cases. They have continued issuing updates and expanding the capabilities of this enterprise-tasked Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see they are using Go for their tooling. I have not seen that before.

Comment

I'd be curious to see if it can stack up to a standard Linux distribution.

I think a lot of people look at this as a proof of concept or "for internal use only" kind of product for their engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        I'd be curious to see if it can stack up to a standard Linux distribution.

I think a lot of people look at this as a proof of concept or "for internal use only" kind of product for their engineers.
        in 20 years, this will be the base of windows, which will run a proprietary runtime. The desktop will be a standard GNU Desktop, but Windows Apps will target the Win32/64 ABI, which will be a static runtime.

Despite this will run on all modern versions of linux, people will still pay for Windows subscriptions(support) as no one is going to touch their service delivery on the desktop.

Comment

inb4 "Real title should be: "Microsoft continues their EEE with another update"".

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

in 20 years, this will be the base of windows, which will run a proprietary runtime. The desktop will be a standard GNU Desktop, but Windows Apps will target the Win32/64 ABI, which will be a static runtime.

Despite this will run on all modern versions of linux, people will still pay for Windows subscriptions(support) as no one is going to touch their service delivery on the desktop.
            I would like to see a non-GNU but freeware desktop by Microsoft for Linux.
            Despite how excellent most open source software is, current Linux desktops are poo.

Comment

If Microsoft loves Linux, it's an abusive relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                If Microsoft loves Linux, it's an abusive relationship.
                Have you got a specific example of Microsoft abused Linux since they officially started loving it?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  Have you got a specific example of Microsoft abused Linux since they officially started loving it?
                  You mean after spending tens of millions of dollars to support frivolous lawsuits just a few short years ago to try to literally destroy GNU/Linux and make it impossible for any of us to run it? When did the "official love" begin? Were the lawsuits entirely dead yet, or was MS just hedging its bets?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

You mean after spending tens of millions of dollars to support frivolous lawsuits just a few short years ago to try to literally destroy GNU/Linux and make it impossible for any of us to run it? When did the "official love" begin? Were the lawsuits entirely dead yet, or was MS just hedging its bets?
                    It began when they changed leadership. And also when they realised the SCOgate was a dead horse and FOSS was there to stay, and they took the only intelligent decision: use Linux to make money rather than trying to destroy it.

Comment

Working...
                    X