Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Fedora Linux Rawhide Kernel Is Becoming Too Slow With Its Many Debug Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fedora Linux Rawhide Kernel Is Becoming Too Slow With Its Many Debug Options

Phoronix: The Fedora Linux Rawhide Kernel Is Becoming Too Slow With Its Many Debug Options

Fedora is one of the Linux distributions that ships with a plethora of debug options during its "Rawhide" development phase to ease in diagnosing issues that turn up during testing rather than building everything in a release mode during the development cycle. While these debug options are good for debugging, the performance impact continues adding up and reaching a point that the Fedora Rawhide debug kernel is too slow for some tasks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh no! Anyway…

Comment

These run in a qemu VM, running the Rawhide kernel, emulated using software virtualization (ie. TCG).
      That's a machine gun burst in the foot. Anyway if they need such configuration with debug kernel - just increase timeouts.

Comment

From my own testing, it is not only Rawhide that is slow, it is Fedora and mainly its Kernel configuration in general. If you want to game on Fedora, I'd recommend to compile your own Xanmod Kernel.

Comment

Would it be possible to split the debug-options to be performed in separate VMs, so that you would run 6 builds at once and evaluate the result individually?
          Or does the options have dependencies in each other?

Comment

... Fedora is ... too slow ...

Fixed the headline for you Michael.

Comment

[libguestfs tests] run in a qemu VM, running the Rawhide kernel, emulated using software virtualization (ie. TCG).
              I really appreciate Richard and his teams contributions. But isn't it just silly to expect performance from this setup?
              ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by johncall View Post
                I really appreciate Richard and his teams contributions. But isn't it just silly to expect performance from this setup?
                ​​​​
                Well, I wouldn't expect great performance, but still enough that the benchmark doesn't become noticeably CPU bound.

Comment

Why are they running on code generator and not hardware virtualisation ? is it for testing other archs ?

And then maybe Qemu should optimize it´s code generator if the same stuff is done over an over again and has such bad performance.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    From my own testing, it is not only Rawhide that is slow, it is Fedora and mainly its Kernel configuration in general. If you want to game on Fedora, I'd recommend to compile your own Xanmod Kernel.
                    I'd want to either see the data or call bullshit. Fedora isn't some blazing fast hyper optimized distro, but Michael's testing has regularly placed fedora performance in the "average" bin.

Comment

Working...
                    X