SUSE's D-Installer Taking Shape As New Web-Based Linux Distro Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE's D-Installer Taking Shape As New Web-Based Linux Distro Installer

Phoronix: SUSE's D-Installer Taking Shape As New Web-Based Linux Distro Installer

In addition to Red Hat being busy working on their new web-based Anaconda installer for future Fedora and RHEL releases, SUSE engineers have also been pursuing their own web-based installer built atop YaST. D-Installer 0.4 was released recently as the latest improvements on that front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Woo-hoo, a web-based installer. What could possibly go wrong.

Comment

Web-based application for an installer seems a poor fit. People like web-based applications for cross-platform things but an installer will always run on Linux so it sounds like it would be better suited to be native instead.

Comment

they have a native installer. this is useful if you are on the go - do not have direct access to the machine - I guess?

Comment

I'm not huge fan of the yast to install the distro because of the partitioning, isn't as intuitive as some other installer (but still it's far better than fedora). I hope that this method improve the UX.

But I don't understand the advantage of a web based installer.

Oh, and Iguana is an amazing name to the project

Comment

Linux Installers is not a solved problem in 2022 apparently. Probably won't be in 2040 either because why not and novel ways discovered for installing distros...

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              they have a native installer. this is useful if you are on the go - do not have direct access to the machine - I guess?
              A TUI installer over ssh should be enough for this case.

Comment

eventually Microsoft will do a Web Based installer, it'll be cheaper to maintain, iv'e never been a fan of opensuse as i Loathe Yast crap

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Web-based application for an installer seems a poor fit. People like web-based applications for cross-platform things but an installer will always run on Linux so it sounds like it would be better suited to be native instead.
                  Only the backend runs on Linux, the UI frontend may run everywhere. The old installer could already be remote accessed via VNC (Qt based UI) or SSH (ncurses based UI), but IMHO exporting the UI via HTML is a much better option.

Comment

Unlike a lot of people, I like the idea. HOWEVER, that name just sucks because, phonetically, it is Deinstaller.

At CompanyCORP we install our OS with D-Installer.

Deinstaller? You sure? That sounds like it removes the OS.

I'm positive. D-Installer installs.

Deinstaller installs?

Yep. D-Installer installs.

I still feel like you're trying to pull one over on me. What's the joke I'm not getting here?

Seriously. No joke. Here's the link.

Really? D HYPHEN Installer!?!?! What a clear and concise name

Comment

Working...
                    X