Fedora 37 Hopes To Have A Preview Of The New Web-Based Install UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 37 Hopes To Have A Preview Of The New Web-Based Install UI

Phoronix: Fedora 37 Hopes To Have A Preview Of The New Web-Baased Install UI

The existing GTK-based Anaconda installer is to remain the default installation experience for Fedora 37 this autumn but a change proposal has been filed with hopes of having a public preview image for Anaconda's next-gen web-based interface for installations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am more or less fine with the idea of web-based interfaces, especially in case of an installer that needs to be run once. But I have an unexplainable fear of managing hard drive partitions with a language where [1, 2, 3] + [4, 5, 6] evaluates to "1,2,34,5,6" and [10, 1, 2].sort() results in [1, 10, 2].

Comment

Originally posted by undefined View Post
      I am more or less fine with the idea of web-based interfaces, especially in case of an installer that needs to be run once. But I have an unexplainable fear of managing hard drive partitions with a language where [1, 2, 3] + [4, 5, 6] evaluates to "1,2,34,5,6" and [10, 1, 2].sort() results in [1, 10, 2].
      you can create bugs in every language.

Comment

Originally posted by undefined View Post
        Is reading the documentation too much to ask for? That being the default sort also makes sense, as arrays can have items of different types, not just numbers.

Comment

I kinda wish it would just be Calamares because Calamares is fine and simple. Well, as long as it's simple and works well enough, I guess.

Comment

anything but please not something as shitty as Opensuse one

Comment

Originally posted by Jbk0 View Post

Is reading the documentation too much to ask for? That being the default sort also makes sense, as arrays can have items of different types, not just numbers.
              his point (which I completely share) is that there are languages (such as JS) where data types are not enforced and you might accidentaly end up with a scenario he desribes.
              It has nothing to do with "reading the documentation".

I see this type of bug everyday where dynamic typed languages are used (luckily I care about my work and don't use such languages).

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

his point (which I completely share) is that there are languages (such as JS) where data types are not enforced and you might accidentaly end up with a scenario he desribes.
                It has nothing to do with "reading the documentation".

I see this type of bug everyday where dynamic typed languages are used (luckily I care about my work and don't use such languages).
                What language(s) do you use instead?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                  anything but please not something as shitty as Opensuse one
                  I find the openSUSE one to be extremely good. It's a bit corporate-y and a couple clicks more than e.g. EndeavourOS, but it's really nice and easy to use and provides a great setup.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

What language(s) do you use instead?
                    lately I've been programming mostly in Java and Go

Comment

Working...
                    X