Fedora 37 Hopes To Have A Preview Of The New Web-Based Install UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schmellow View Post

And apparently usability tests tell you that back and quit buttons should be placed after next ("begin installation") button?
    Well at least they are not randomly placed as in current anaconda, so that's an improvement already
    It’s like this on most designs.

Comment

gtk3/4 has the broadway ( html5 ) backend. Seems like it should be pretty easy to make use of that.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

you can create bugs in every language.
        Except Rust...so I hear from it's vast mob of acolytes.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

lately I've been programming mostly in Java and Go
          And no Rust? The language purists are disappointed.

Comment

Why would anyone create such abomination and inflict it upon this world? In my mind, the definition of the web is "An awful collection of stupid design choices, standards and other garbage, that should only be used as an example of capitalism hindering even technological progress". Let's begin by saying that the design of the web is suboptimal by design, even for web pages (for example it uses text for stuff that is never read or written by humans). But what I hate most about the web, is seeing it metastasized to desktop and mobile applications to waste my cpu cycles and my battery (Either by the means of electron or by having a slow web page as the only option).

Ok, someone might say "it is OK for an installer to be suboptimal" and I mostly agree with that. What is the upside of migrating an installer to the f-ing web? And also why use this garbage while you already have a working desktop app? Just why are you helping this cancer spread?

PS: I would not even comment on this thread if it was the only web app. But the trend to move everything to the web is something I despise and this post triggered me (although using web for installation is not nearly as bad as most cases).

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

And no Rust? The language purists are disappointed.
              no, I was in a complex relationship with the borrow checker, so I stopped programming in Rust

Comment

Suse is also leaning heavily into this web based installer business.

What is so important about web based installers to the two big linux enterprise companies?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                  anything but please not something as shitty as Opensuse one
                  To tell the truth, openSUSE is the most powerful "install" out there.
                  It offers by default a simple and a more advanced powerful mode in which you can choose in detail what to install and what not.
                  In my experience it has only one flaw, it is slower than other "installs", but for me it is not a big problem since I don't install once a day, but at worst once a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

To tell the truth, openSUSE is the most powerful "install" out there.
                    It offers by default a simple and a more advanced powerful mode in which you can choose in detail what to install and what not.
                    In my experience it has only one flaw, it is slower than other "installs", but for me it is not a big problem since I don't install once a day, but at worst once a year.
                    I should stop trolling and give it another go, it's been a while...

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post
                      Why would anyone create such abomination and inflict it upon this world? In my mind, the definition of the web is "An awful collection of stupid design choices, standards and other garbage, that should only be used as an example of capitalism hindering even technological progress". Let's begin by saying that the design of the web is suboptimal by design, even for web pages (for example it uses text for stuff that is never read or written by humans). But what I hate most about the web, is seeing it metastasized to desktop and mobile applications to waste my cpu cycles and my battery (Either by the means of electron or by having a slow web page as the only option).

Ok, someone might say "it is OK for an installer to be suboptimal" and I mostly agree with that. What is the upside of migrating an installer to the f-ing web? And also why use this garbage while you already have a working desktop app? Just why are you helping this cancer spread?

PS: I would not even comment on this thread if it was the only web app. But the trend to move everything to the web is something I despise and this post triggered me (although using web for installation is not nearly as bad as most cases).
                      It's all true however what Fedora is looking for, I guess, is for simplifying the development process and reducing the amount of code involved. Whether or not it's actually true I've no idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X