Linux Mint 21 "Vanessa" Beta Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I think you didn't completely understand what I was trying to explain. With Compiz fullscreen unredirection works properly because it doesn't apply vsync on fullscreen windows (as it's supposed to work), while that bug in Muffin I was talking about, caused all fullscreen windows to be vsynce'd by it, so as a result, games were stuttery / experienced performance issues.
    Ah thanks, so it doesn't properly respect the _NET_WM_BYPASS_COMPOSITOR value. Mutter 3.36 does that just fine.

P.S.: I was mainly referring to "people start reporting screen tearing issues, even when vsync is enabled in game". If the game requests unredirect from the compositor but then doesn't handle it properly, it's a bug in the game. Many games don't set _NET_WM_BYPASS_COMPOSITOR at all, in which case some WMs enable unredirect in fullscreen by default (I think Mutter does). If the game then tears with vsync enabled - it's still a buggy game.
    Last edited by treba; 14 July 2022, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typo in the title...
      Fixed thanks
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Fixed thanks
        No problem but now thread is unlinked from article

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Out today is the beta of the upcoming Linux Mint 21 "Vanessa" desktop-oriented Linux distribution that is built off Ubuntu 22.04 LTS...
          Why would someone use Mint 21 over Ubuntu 22.04?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            Why would someone use Mint 21 over Ubuntu 22.04?
            Cause you think vanilla Ubuntu is perfect and all? What kind of question is this? It's like asking why would someone use any other distro over Ubuntu.

- What if someone hate Snaps or other Canonical shenanigans?
            - What if someone wants a more traditional GTK desktop?
            - What if someone simply likes the software that ships with Mint like their in-house software?

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              Gnome 3.36 code, how modern
              Guess they are avoiding GNOME 42.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                - What if someone wants a more traditional GTK desktop?
                - What if someone simply likes the software that ships with Mint like their in-house software?
                The differences are fairly minor between Cinnamon Mate and Xfce variants, too. Other distros, maybe the desktops come with their own ugly themes, text editor, etc.
                It has very good "GUI stability". Whether the year is 2014 or 2021 or 2022 you open a pdf, a zip or a picture and it's about the same Gnome 2/Windows XP/Windows 7 kind of experience.

Comment

Working...
                X