Windows 11 vs. Linux Performance For Intel Core i9 12900K In Mid-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 11 vs. Linux Performance For Intel Core i9 12900K In Mid-2022

Phoronix: Windows 11 vs. Linux Performance For Intel Core i9 12900K In Mid-2022

Last year when the Intel Core i9 12900K "Alder Lake" processor launched, Windows 11 was outperforming Linux to much surprise in general but explainable due to some late Linux kernel patches around Intel's hybrid architecture. Back in February I looked at the situation again and Linux started outrunning Windows 11 on the i9-12900K with the latest Linux kernel at the time. But with a few more months having passed and for the Intel Alder Lake hybrid processors to mature under Windows and Linux, how do things stand now? Here are some new benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the benchmarks!

Comment

Very nice (as always) - linux is in a very good shape. Thats great.

Comment

Thanks, really interesting.

It seems like kernel 5.18's HFI driver hasn't made a big difference, unless it's been offset by some other performance degradations. The overall gap between Linux and Windows performance is also still substantially smaller than it was with Rocket Lake (Clear Linux being ~17.6% faster on average compared to ~8% here, although it's not strictly apples-to-apples).

By the time Raptor Lake is released, Windows 11 22H2 should be available to the general public - we'll see if performance is affected.

Comment

Looks like Windows 11 is a great OS if you take noisy photos.

Comment

Not bad. Linux fanboys usually say that linux is way more fast. Linux is like rabbit Windows is like turtle .
            You think linux is maybe two times faster? Maybe three times? No, it's only several percent. Linux fanboys always lie .

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Looks like Windows 11 is a great OS if you take noisy photos.
              Windows overall is just 4% slower in benchmarks than Ubuntu 22.04 + Linux 5.18. Nothing to worry about for anyone.

At the same time this comparison doesn't show that in Windows all web browsers and most video players support HW accelerated video decoding and proper power management out of the box which is what people will actually appreciate, not some surface-level improvements for various benchmarks most people never run.

What do people actually care about? How fast their web browser works. How fast their system boots. How fast they can perform calculations in Excel. Wait, there's no Excel in Linux. Whether their hardware works without issues. Overall on the desktop this is far more important than performance in benchmarks.
              Last edited by birdie; 08 July 2022, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quppa View Post
                Thanks, really interesting.

It seems like kernel 5.18's HFI driver hasn't made a big difference, unless it's been offset by some other performance degradations. The overall gap between Linux and Windows performance is also still substantially smaller than it was with Rocket Lake (Clear Linux being ~17.6% faster on average compared to ~8% here, although it's not strictly apples-to-apples).

By the time Raptor Lake is released, Windows 11 22H2 should be available to the general public - we'll see if performance is affected.
                There were different tests when comes to Rocket Lake where Linux had higher lead:

DaCapo: Tradesoap, Tradebeans,
                Renaissance: Scala Dotty,
                Git.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Windows overall is just 4% slower in benchmarks than Ubuntu 22.04 + Linux 5.18. Nothing to worry about for anyone.
                  In this specific benchmarks. Add I/O and your windows will be on its knees.

Comment

A test of the Linux vs. Windows 11 performance with the Ryzen 5950X would have been much more interesting, because the Windows CPU scheduler has been optimized by Intel to perform better with their P-/E-Core designs, which led to Ryzen CPUs performing worse in Windows 11 vs Windows 10.

Comment

Working...
                    X