Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 37 Proposing To Allow Unrestricted Access To Flathub

Phoronix: Fedora 37 Proposing To Allow Unrestricted Access To Flathub

To this point Fedora out-of-the-box has been restricted to a filtered subset of Flathub packages when enabled via GNOME Software or GNOME Initial Setup. However, legal has now cleared Fedora for allowing unfiltered/unrestricted access to Flathub, allowing a far greater selection of Flatpaks to become available on Fedora Linux with the plan for this to begin with Fedora 37...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is some possible opposition to this change in its current form though because Flatpaks have higher priority over RPMs within GNOME Software. So this change may run into some problems unless GNOME Software is altered in its behavior around Flatpaks vs. Fedora RPMs.
    Completely agree with this part. Flatpak is very nice, but I still prefer official distro packages when possible. Especially when it's for a distro that has as rapid updates as Fedora, on for e.g. Debian stable it wouldn't be as clear-cut on what I would prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
      Completely agree with this part. Flatpak is very nice, but I still prefer official distro packages when possible. Especially when it's for a distro that has as rapid updates as Fedora, on for e.g. Debian stable it wouldn't be as clear-cut on what I would prefer.
      Here here! Me too. Nothing against Flatpacks, but I love native RPMs.

P.S. At some point I'd like some integration within dnf. I enjoy the convenience of a one-stop shop...
      Last edited by _ReD_; 29 June 2022, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

I agree with you. I prefer having native packages and I'm using Flatpak only when something is not in main repository or for some reason I prefer to have it more isolated.

Comment

Originally posted by _ReD_ View Post
          P.S. At some point I'd like some integration within dnf. I enjoy the convenience of a one-stop shop...
          I LOVE flatpaks and prefer them to normal packages but I would absolutely hate this.

It could turn into the fedora version of "apt install firefox" installing a snap package instead.

For most users the GUI takes care of it. For those that want the command line, having the verbosity to choose is useful.

Comment

get used to Flatpaks, cause i reckon RPM6 will be heading in that direction as the new Package management

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
              I LOVE flatpaks and prefer them to normal packages but I would absolutely hate this.
              It could turn into the fedora version of "apt install firefox" installing a snap package instead.
              For most users the GUI takes care of it. For those that want the command line, having the verbosity to choose is useful.
              Yeah, I'd probably hate such a demented implementation too, but think of one that allows managing—and differentiating—the two formats, within the same tool.
              Last edited by _ReD_; 29 June 2022, 06:34 PM.

Comment

glad to see this change, when I used fedora i found it strange that flatpak was installed but I could not search for any packages - had to add the flathub repo

Comment

Originally posted by _ReD_ View Post
                  Nothing against Flatpacks, but I love native RPMs.
                  Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                  I prefer having native packages and I'm using Flatpak only when something is not in main repository or for some reason I prefer to have it more isolated.
                  As mentioned in the second link, it will remain user configurable, for those who prefer RPMs to Flatpaks, but some preinstalled apps will be affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                    get used to Flatpaks, cause i reckon RPM6 will be heading in that direction as the new Package management
                    Nah, flatpak is for desktop and not server, and rpm is not just for desktop. Sure next major version of rpm probably going to that direction, but it won't be the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X