Fedora 37 Proposing To Allow Unrestricted Access To Flathub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _ReD_ View Post

Yeah, I'd probably hate such a demented implementation too, but think of one that allows managing—and differentiating—the two formats, within the same tool.
    The Manjaro package manager and GUI somewhat does that. Their Pamac tool does Pacman, Snaps, and Flats and their GUI quickly lets you know what's from what. I don't use Snaps or Flats so I can't tell you more than that, only that they're available all from the same tool.

Comment

There is some possible opposition to this change in its current form though because Flatpaks have higher priority over RPMs within GNOME Software. So this change may run into some problems unless GNOME Software is altered in its behavior around Flatpaks vs. Fedora RPMs.
      I don't see this as a problem. Nothing's wrong with RPMs, but GNOME Software relies on PackageKit to manage RPMs which itself is an unmaintained disaster that comes with its share of problems. So moving RPMs higher than Flatpaks would promote the worse experience.

Comment

Does flathub allow for closed source (and) commercial software? If its limited to Foss only that its nit really that attractive

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          The Manjaro package manager and GUI somewhat does that. Their Pamac tool does Pacman, Snaps, and Flats and their GUI quickly lets you know what's from what. I don't use Snaps or Flats so I can't tell you more than that, only that they're available all from the same tool.
          Yes, actually gnome-software does that too—although not for snaps. But I was talking about dnf, the command-line package manager.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
            Does flathub allow for closed source (and) commercial software? If its limited to Foss only that its nit really that attractive
            Yes, it does.

Comment

Can Fedora 36 do this? Taking Firefox as an example, Gnome Software suggests a Firefox flatpak from Fedora. If I go to flathub and download the link, I can install a different Firefox flatpak, the one from Mozilla, as far as I understand. But this never appeared as a search result in Gnome Software.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                Why do they all push their crappy flatsnaps? Wtf? I don't want your shit, I want native packages. Thank dog, I use arch, btw. And Debian on servers.
                If you use arch just stick to arch-related post, you trolling moron

Comment

Here here! Me too. Nothing against Flatpacks, but I love native RPMs.
                  My bbrain landed on the "Me too" part first, and I thought jep, that's right phrase for any this these. I was genuinely surprised when I saw you hadn't used it that way.

RH legal's concern can only have been the Snaps convsersations, various appstore cases going in around the right now, and making sure RH gets to avoid responsibility if the PC eats your homework.

I don't share your interest in SFX packages. It's mostly a collection of very poor implementations of very old concepts. Buf since you do, great!

It's a shame flatpak has no "expert mode". And is slow, and - oh, wait, I'm about to give the whole feature list. :P

I'd like it to suck a lot less, but as long as it manages that *before* getting to the point where it starts replacing DEBs, I don't care about these silly baby packaging systems.

Comment

I apologise, I really struggle to understand your writing, would you be so kind as to please clarify the following?

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                    My bbrain landed on the "Me too" part first, and I thought jep, that's right phrase for any this these. I was genuinely surprised when I saw you hadn't used it that way.
                    Here I can't fathom the meaning of "that's right phrase for any this these".

RH legal's concern can only have been the Snaps convsersations, various appstore cases going in around the right now, and making sure RH gets to avoid responsibility if the PC eats your homework.
                    The phrase in general in unclear to me. Also, I don't understand why you intermingle RH with Snaps and appstore.

I don't share your interest in SFX packages. It's mostly a collection of very poor implementations of very old concepts. Buf since you do, great!
                    What exactly are those "SFX packages" you mention and what would be my "interest" in them? I cited rpms. Do you mean those? And in that case, which "very poor implementations" and "very old concepts" are you you referring to?

It's a shame flatpak has no "expert mode". And is slow, and - oh, wait, I'm about to give the whole feature list. :P
                    Uh?! I don't really know what a "Flatpack expert mode" could be.
                    Moreover, flatpack is just a container format. How could it be "slow"—or fast, for that matter? Maybe you're referring to some specific package manager?

I'd like it to suck a lot less, but as long as it manages that *before* getting to the point where it starts replacing DEBs, I don't care about these silly baby packaging systems.
                    I'm not sure which "silly baby packaging systems" you refer to. Flatpack? RPM? Snaps? Those mysterious "SFX packages"?

Thanks for your patience.

Comment

I apologise, I really struggle to understand your writing, would you be so kind as to please clarify the following?
                      Not at all: I was neck deep in painkillers and literally half-asleep when I made that post, sorry. It's hard to proofread when your eyes won't focus. :P

> Here I can't fathom the meaning of "that's right phrase for any this these".

"Me too". Common worthless, vapid reply to posts on Usenet (and later, forums etc) agreeing with an opinion, etc. The term has since morphed into use to refer to (usually, low-effort) copycats of software etc. https://blog.marketing360.com/ecomme...e-too-product/

> The phrase in general in unclear to me. Also, I don't understand why you intermingle RH with Snaps and appstore.

You not understanding the first part is why you don't understand the second part.
                      Snap, Flatpak, AppImage, and 50 others - all "me too" products, all doing things badly. (Nix is by far the best of them, but of course doesn't have the $$ to fund the marketing campaigns of; or the pre-existing userbase to co-opt, that RH and Canonical do).

> What exactly are those "SFX packages" you mention

SelF-eXtracting archive (or SelF-extracting eXe) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-extracting_archive

> which "very poor implementations" and "very old concepts" are you you referring to?

"All of them", and "see the link above re SFX". You're getting quite a history lesson today... :P

> Moreover, flatpack is just a container format. How could it be "slow"

Ask any Ubuntu user whose web browser now takes over a minute to start - I'm sure they too would *love* to be given a reasonable answer to that question.

Comment

Working...
                      X