Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Developers Have An Idea For Handling The Over-Eager Systemd OOMD App Killing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developers Have An Idea For Handling The Over-Eager Systemd OOMD App Killing

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developers Have An Idea For Handling The Over-Eager Systemd OOMD App Killing

With the recent release of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS it is shipping systemd-oomd by default on their desktop for trying to better handle low-memory / out-of-memory situations. However, in real-world use systemd-oomd is too easily killing user-space applications like Firefox and Chrome when approaching memory pressure. This is a poor Ubuntu 22.04 user experience but the developers now have an idea for their approach to addressing this solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope ubuntu adds shiny_new to it and calls them:
    system_doomd and home_doomd

Comment

OOM killing is such hot tech in 2022.
      It's so awesome to see processes killed before your eyes using cool new algorithms that do a fantastic job at it.
      I'm going to downgrade my RAM immediately just for this ! I cannot wait to fill what little remains of it with a few Electron apps and witness magic at a work.
      Last edited by bobbie424242; 23 June 2022, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Well, having OOM killers in Linux before memory management refactoring was a really bad idea. At least merge MGLRU patches finally! I would prefer "macOS" way when it just creates multiple swap files when RAM is exausted (dunno what happens when space is out though). But they did "Windows" way, but even worse. I dunno, they could make a dialog warning where you can see which apps consume most and select those that can be killed to save memory. And if not selected any - ideally do the "macOS" option. Linux users are not stupid, they need more transparency about what is happening with their system, not less.

Comment

Seems to me a solution to a non-problem. I mean memory is cheap and plentiful. If you experience out-of-memory problems, your machine isn't configured properly for the use case. Don't get it .

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
            Seems to me a solution to a non-problem. I mean memory is cheap and plentiful. If you experience out-of-memory problems, your machine isn't configured properly for the use case. Don't get it .
            I've not experienced this new out-of-memory random process death yet, but that's because I've not moved to 22.04 (and won't for at least another three months post release of Mint 21) but I occasionally crunch datasets which will eat 1.45TB of 1.5TB of RAM while running. Sure, I could upgrade to 2TB or 3TB, but then my boss would be extraordinarily unhappy at the colossal invoice that arrived on his desk. As these runs often go for 10+ days, I would be absolutely raging if oomd decided after, say, 9 days to kill the run because it stepped 1KB over its trigger value. Our other "big" systems (512GB, 768GB) run things which push rather close to the limit - I've seen 504GB and 763GB respectively at times.

But yeah, sure, memory is cheap and plentiful. Except when it isn't. I know, I know, edge cases, exceptions, all that jazz.

That said, this wouldn't be an issue, because the first thing I'd do, knowing how close I can take these systems to swapping, would be remove oomd like a tumour.
            Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 23 June 2022, 08:33 PM. Reason: Grammar.

Comment

Funny. My earlyoomd is specifically configured to prefer killing Firefox and Chrome content processes, since they tend to be the biggest, bloatiest, and most numerous processes on my system, giving me the most bang and least disruption for my buck.

Comment

Just buy more RAM. It is cheap. A modern 2022 desktop should have 32GBs of RAM at the minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                  ah, the let them eat tesla argument of 2022. "just buy more ram bro, what's the problem? what are you, poor? LOL"
                  if it was so easy for people to obtain ram, we all would have ungodly amounts of ram and wouldn't need such nonsensical things like swap. what's cheap for you doesn't mean is cheap for someone else. that's also ignoring the fact not everyone's machine can even be upgraded to high levels of ram too. and no, telling them to buy newer machines isn't going to help. if they could afford it, they would.

Comment

Pfff, n00bs. Just get a faster internet connection and download more RAM.

Comment

Working...
                    X