X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    The Alma logo is kind of reminiscent of CentOS though.
    Not really a plus. The CentOS logo was awful as well.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    Rocky Linux seems much worse and childish.
    Yikes... you might want to go read up on that before commenting.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    I get the impression AlmaLinux is a larger operation with more staff. They have EL9 released, Rocky does not yet. They have an official Rpi image, while the one from Rocky is unofficial. They get the upstream updates released a few days quicker than Rocky.

That said, I despise their ugly logo and dopey name. Rocky Linux has a lot more meaning to the name, and the logo looks really slick and professional.

In practice, does it really matter which one you choose? I don't think so, they both offer essentially the same thing at its core.
    The Alma logo is kind of reminiscent of CentOS though. As for the name, it's not that bad IMO. Among other things Alma means the soul or roots of something, in this case implicitly of CentOS. Rocky Linux seems much worse and childish.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by ximian View Post
    Are there any advantages of using AlmaLinux over Rocky Linux?
    I get the impression AlmaLinux is a larger operation with more staff. They have EL9 released, Rocky does not yet. They have an official Rpi image, while the one from Rocky is unofficial. They get the upstream updates released a few days quicker than Rocky.

That said, I despise their ugly logo and dopey name. Rocky Linux has a lot more meaning to the name, and the logo looks really slick and professional.

In practice, does it really matter which one you choose? I don't think so, they both offer essentially the same thing at its core.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Is there an official upgrade path from 8.x to 9.0 or does it require a reinstall?

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    The fact that there's any discernible difference between them in terms of performance seems quite weird. They must be built from the same source packages using the same compiler.
    Oh wait...

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    The fact that there's any discernible difference between them in terms of performance seems quite weird. They must be built from the same source packages using the same compiler.

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    I recently tested both and stayed with Alma Linux. Rocky Linux came pretty bloated and when I run dnf it was ridiculous that packages mostly related to desktop are on my VPS. That could be a fault of my provider who made the image though, I don't know. As for advantages, Alma is completely independent and community driven while Rocky AFAIK is not (if that's advantage anyway).

I only encountered one issue with Python packages (I needed Certbot plugin for Cloudflare) due to missing dependencies I needed to use pip, which I don't like. I might have missed something when I tried to solve it, I'm not very experienced with RedHat as I mostly use Arch and Debian. But overall, a solid and clean distro.

Leave a comment:

• Barley9432
    replied
    From what I gather Alma is less of a leech than Rocky, actually contributing back to RHEL according to some RedHat devs.

Leave a comment:

• ximian
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AlmaLinux 9 Running Well, Performance On Par With RHEL 9.0

Phoronix: AlmaLinux 9 Running Well, Performance On Par With RHEL 9.0

Released at the end of May was AlmaLinux 9.0 as the first "community" distribution out of the gates based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 that reached GA in mid-May. I've been running AlmaLinux 9.0 on a few Intel and AMD servers to great success. And, yes, as expected the performance matches that of upstream RHEL9.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X