Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposed SIG Could Help Fedora Linux Become A Leader For Heterogeneous Computing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed SIG Could Help Fedora Linux Become A Leader For Heterogeneous Computing

Phoronix: Proposed SIG Could Help Fedora Linux Become A Leader For Heterogeneous Computing

To organize efforts around improving Fedora Linux for heterogeneous computing, a new special interest group "SIG" is looking to be established to help ensure the success of Fedora in the world of XPUs, the growing and very diverse software ecosystem around accelerators, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Fedora Linux becoming a leader in Heterogeneous Computing" sounds a bit exaggerated to me. Currently Debian has much more of the ROCm stack packaged and there is also (another) AMD employee helping. So even if a new Fedora SIG is created I don't think Fedora can be considered a "leader" in that area anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by schwarzman View Post
      "Fedora Linux becoming a leader in Heterogeneous Computing" sounds a bit exaggerated to me. Currently Debian has much more of the ROCm stack packaged and there is also (another) AMD employee helping. So even if a new Fedora SIG is created I don't think Fedora can be considered a "leader" in that area anytime soon.
      Yeah, archlinux is The King of Linux distribution. Not even close...

Comment

A Clear Linux style spin of Fedora, with an explicit focus on aggressive optimization, would be amazing. I'm sure the HPC folks in particular would love it, especially if they brand it as a HPC focused distro, and many of the changes could filter down to base Fedora and RHEL.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
          A Clear Linux style spin of Fedora, with an explicit focus on aggressive optimization, would be amazing. I'm sure the HPC folks in particular would love it, especially if they brand it as a HPC focused distro, and many of the changes could filter down to base Fedora and RHEL.
          I'd strongly consider RHEL or Fedora if they offered that. Frankly speaking, there's a good chance I'd migrate to the first LTS distribution like SUSE or RHEL that offered that.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'd strongly consider RHEL or Fedora if they offered that. Frankly speaking, there's a good chance I'd migrate to the first LTS distribution like SUSE or RHEL that offered that.
            Yeah, I would too. Another thing: problematic packages and changes should be easier to fix than CL, as one could simply replace them with base distro packages and configs.

Comment

x86_64-v3 compiled packages when

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
                x86_64-v3 compiled packages when
                Arch already has this with 3rd party repos, not sure if there is something similar for Fedora. Check out ALHP.GO and/or CachyOS.

What CL does goes beyond a riced kernel and better compiler flags though.

Comment

Working...
                X