Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposed SIG Could Help Fedora Linux Become A Leader For Heterogeneous Computing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Proposed SIG Could Help Fedora Linux Become A Leader For Heterogeneous Computing

    Phoronix: Proposed SIG Could Help Fedora Linux Become A Leader For Heterogeneous Computing

    To organize efforts around improving Fedora Linux for heterogeneous computing, a new special interest group "SIG" is looking to be established to help ensure the success of Fedora in the world of XPUs, the growing and very diverse software ecosystem around accelerators, etc...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...HC-Compute-SIG

  • #2
    "Fedora Linux becoming a leader in Heterogeneous Computing" sounds a bit exaggerated to me. Currently Debian has much more of the ROCm stack packaged and there is also (another) AMD employee helping. So even if a new Fedora SIG is created I don't think Fedora can be considered a "leader" in that area anytime soon.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by schwarzman View Post
      "Fedora Linux becoming a leader in Heterogeneous Computing" sounds a bit exaggerated to me. Currently Debian has much more of the ROCm stack packaged and there is also (another) AMD employee helping. So even if a new Fedora SIG is created I don't think Fedora can be considered a "leader" in that area anytime soon.
      Yeah, archlinux is The King of Linux distribution. Not even close...

      Comment


      • #4
        A Clear Linux style spin of Fedora, with an explicit focus on aggressive optimization, would be amazing. I'm sure the HPC folks in particular would love it, especially if they brand it as a HPC focused distro, and many of the changes could filter down to base Fedora and RHEL.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
          A Clear Linux style spin of Fedora, with an explicit focus on aggressive optimization, would be amazing. I'm sure the HPC folks in particular would love it, especially if they brand it as a HPC focused distro, and many of the changes could filter down to base Fedora and RHEL.
          I'd strongly consider RHEL or Fedora if they offered that. Frankly speaking, there's a good chance I'd migrate to the first LTS distribution like SUSE or RHEL that offered that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

            I'd strongly consider RHEL or Fedora if they offered that. Frankly speaking, there's a good chance I'd migrate to the first LTS distribution like SUSE or RHEL that offered that.
            Yeah, I would too. Another thing: problematic packages and changes should be easier to fix than CL, as one could simply replace them with base distro packages and configs.

            Comment


            • #7
              x86_64-v3 compiled packages when

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
                x86_64-v3 compiled packages when
                Arch already has this with 3rd party repos, not sure if there is something similar for Fedora. Check out ALHP.GO and/or CachyOS.

                What CL does goes beyond a riced kernel and better compiler flags though.

                Comment

                Working...
                X