Ikey Doherty Returning To Work Full-Time On Serpent OS Linux Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ikey Doherty Returning To Work Full-Time On Serpent OS Linux Distribution

Phoronix: Ikey Doherty Returning To Work Full-Time On Serpent OS Linux Distribution

Ikey Doherty started the Solus Linux distribution then disappeared and wrote an open letter on Phoronix about his absence, also was employed by Intel for a year to work on their Clear Linux distribution, had a brief stint starting a game/software development company, and then started the Serpent OS Linux distribution. He's still been working on Serpent OS but then was working full-time elsewhere but now has decided to return full-time to working on his latest Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have mixed feelings about Ikey. On one hand, things he creates are usually awesome. On the other hand, he very often changes his minds, and drops projects. It can still be beneficial, Solus has been picked up by capable people and is doing well. But it is also hard to get excited about Serpent OS, as it is hard to know its future. First it was developed rapidly, then the worked stopped almost completely, and now he is picking it back up?
    But hey, I would love to be proved wrong!
    Last edited by JacekJagosz; 07 June 2022, 03:18 AM.

Comment

I have to say: I'll stay away from his projects. It's not worth even thinking about it as he wont be around in 6 month anymore anyways. He's just not a person you want to deal with in a team, nor a project leader you can trust.

Comment

In his own words "it is now time to deliver. Not just another run of the mill distribution but a technically competent and usable distribution that is not only different but better."

Comment

All the best Ikey, Solus was one of the best Linux Distribution, booting was super fast even in old PC. Budgie is still best desktop environment in terms of performance. One thing that can help you is build something that can finance Serpent OS as you are one of the best programmer I have seen in Linux Community (Game engine was good idea) , that way you can focus on Serpent OS. problem in Linux Community,

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
            I have to say: I'll stay away from his projects. It's not worth even thinking about it as he wont be around in 6 month anymore anyways. He's just not a person you want to deal with in a team, nor a project leader you can trust.
            I'm 4th year on Solus - most stable rolling release out there. On the other PC Fedora died once for me in this period of time. Reinstall needed...
            So If he delivers a stable OS others will take over and continue maintenance and he can invent new things. Win-win situation for innovation.

Comment

The idea is very cool, though, a git-like storage of package files, so that configuration changes are almost atomically committed into running filesystem through links; also standard post-install-hooks that actually run in a sort of staging environment, and which effects are only committed if successful. Somewhat similar to NixOS but without waiting an hour for it to solve whether there is a system update (;

Comment

He's going to force clang builds, musl, and wayland on everything. After using Void for the past year, one thing I'll note is that the number of packages that will run properly with that setup will be quite small.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  He's going to force clang builds, musl, and wayland on everything. After using Void for the past year, one thing I'll note is that the number of packages that will run properly with that setup will be quite small.
                  They have long since taken a more pragmatic approach to what works best: https://serpentos.com/blog/2020/09/2...he-experiment/

Comment

Ike is a fantastic programmer and I'm confident that SerpentOS will be a great OS.
                    Solus was the prelude that lead to SerpentOS. Everything must evolve.

Comment

Working...
                    X